May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife found this in an old homesite area where I had also found a large cent (no legible date so far) and a 2 cent coin that looks as if has a soder point on the back where it might have been used as a button.

hat badge b.JPGhat badge A.JPG

It has the same color patina as the large cent I found, but is in really good condition. I was just wanting to know if anyone has an idea if this is a true War between the States relic, or reproduction. The place where it was found sees very little modern traffic being way back in the woods, so I'm hoping its real. Also if anyone has any information on the style with the 7th and Company M being on it would also be greatly appreciated. haven't been able to find anything to match it with. Thinking it could be WV 7th Calvary Company M because of the area but haven't seen any with the number and letter. Thanks.

WOW I want it!! I'm a CAV guy i will try to helpphoto.JPG Garryowen!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try your search using the word Troop not company in the CAV a "company" is called a Troop

Upvote 0
That dates to post civil war. The civil war era ones just had the crossed sabers. I also believe the attachment pin would show it to be post war.

Upvote 0
Your right red leg I didn't catch it good eye

sorry...I always forget that stuff...an I was a battery member...but trained as a company troopie...duh.

but ya let it go on calvary?
hummm

Upvote 0
The Regiment-number and Company-letter were not physically connected to US Army insignia until 1896. Your US Cavalry COLLAR (not cap) insignia's back appears to have had a clasp-pin, which is broken off. The clasp-pin was not part of these insignia until about 1902... so yours is no earlier than that. Then in 1905, the cavalry insignia's scabbards became more narrow. So, your attached-letter-&-number, pin-clasp, WIDE-scabbards collar insignia dates from 1902 to 1905. For confirmation, go to the following webpage, scroll down to the COLLAR insignia from those years, and compare the photos with your crossed-sabers collar-insignia. History of U.S. Cavalry Insignia

Sidenote 1:
Giving credit where credit is due... Duggap previously posted that your insignia is post-civil-war. He's correct, of course. I figured you would want to know the more-specific dating of it.

Sidenote 2:
The crossed-sabers cavalry collar-insignia for Enlisted-Men's ranks was replaced by collar-disc insignia in 1910, but Officers continued to have the crossed-sabers insignia.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very good detailed answer TheCannonballGuy, I really appreciate all that info, even though it'll make the wife sad to find out.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back