Calling all Horseshoe Pros

Loomis

May 3, 2015
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this horseshoe at my new favorite spot and was astounded on how it's completely intact, even the nails! I guess I'm missing the horse though..

That leads me to my question, this thing is huge.. was it even for a horse? The land owner said maybe an ox? I'm not sure about that but I guess a possibility?

What time period is this beast from?

7'' long, 6'' wide and a little over a 1/2'' thick.

IMG_0339.JPGIMG_0340.JPGIMG_0341.JPG

I aint got a clue but suspect it will be a horse used for logging because of the cleats on the front. I am just guessing...d2

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The shoe is for a hind foot on a large draft horse. It looks to me like a shoe that is set up for ice. The holes
in the shoe are for the addition of ice caulks if they are desired. There two types of ice studs, and all sorts of styles, pointed etc. One type of stud can be screwed onto the shoe, the other
type is a drive on fit, which is probably brazed in place, although I can't say that for a fact, because I've never had to shoe a horse because of ice.
I found a picture.
1A.jpg

Attachments

• 1A.JPG
    1A.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The trouble with this picture is the caulk, pronounced "cork," is on the shoe upside down. That's the foot side of the shoe. The shoe is made with four holes for the caulks, and the toe
clip is drawn by the black smith/farrier and is burned into the hoof wall. This takes the strain off the nails which those caulks would cause a tremendous strain every time the foot hit
the ground. Another indication of the amount of strain on the nails is this shoe is made to use 5 nails on a side, where horse shoes usually have 4 nails, sometimes only three nails to a
side.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DR.LOOMIS boy that horse really got nailed. And by the way did you keep an eye out for Michael Meyers while you were detecting,anyway neat ole shoe with the nails, neat find,vanzutphen

Upvote 0
Thanks vanzutphen, yeah I was keeping an eye out for him, there is a story about a lady who was murdered out in these woods and went unsolved to this day, ive been collecting bullet casings from out here and hope maybe I can solve it! Lol

Upvote 0
Shucks! I thought we were all going to have us a game of horseshoes. I ain't no pro, but do enjoy playing the game. :occasion14:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back