tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this coin at a plantation near Charleston SC over the Christmas break and would like some opinions. The coin is very similar to a Guy II de La Roche Denier and that is the only thing similar that I can find. There are some differences but the cross and the small circles/crescent shapes on the back are a match. Let me know what you all think! I would love to believe my coin could be from the 1300s but to be found in America would be astonishing!

Also found the oval plate that is very similar to a revolutionary or 1812 cross belt plate. The back is lead filled and the words on the front read REYNOLDS on one side and CHARLESTON SC on the other side in cursive. There is also cursive writing on the middle but I cant make the name/words out. Some have suggested cross belt plate and another has suggested a trunk plate of some sort.

Attachments

• Coin.jpg
    Coin.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Coin2.jpg
    Coin2.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Denier.jpg
    Denier.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 115
  • PXL_20221226_232821080.jpg
    PXL_20221226_232821080.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • PXL_20221227_020438634.jpg
    PXL_20221227_020438634.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20221227_020444177.jpg
    PXL_20221227_020444177.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • PXL_20221227_025236150.jpg
    PXL_20221227_025236150.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
Upvote 30
I found this coin at a plantation near Charleston SC over the Christmas break and would like some opinions. The coin is very similar to a Guy II de La Roche Denier and that is the only thing similar that I can find. There are some differences but the cross and the small circles/crescent shapes on the back are a match. Let me know what you all think! I would love to believe my coin could be from the 1300s but to be found in America would be astonishing!

Also found the oval plate that is very similar to a revolutionary or 1812 cross belt plate. The back is lead filled and the words on the front read REYNOLDS on one side and CHARLESTON SC on the other side in cursive. There is also cursive writing on the middle but I cant make the name/words out. Some have suggested cross belt plate and another has suggested a trunk plate of some sort.
Great find

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

You want to know how it got there? Easy and very likely answer. Once in another lifetime ago I was digging with a friend near Charleston on a plantation. Some Rev War buttons were found there. I didn't find any. However, I found a Byzantine brass coin from the 6th century. My digging buddies found some ancient Roman coins. The plantation house had burned and the owner was a coin collector some 200+- years ago. People lose stuff.

You want to know how it got there? Easy and very likely answer. Once in another lifetime ago I was digging with a friend near Charleston on a plantation. Some Rev War buttons were found there. I didn't find any. However, I found a Byzantine brass coin from the 6th century. My digging buddies found some ancient Roman coins. The plantation house had burned and the owner was a coin collector some 200+- years ago. People lose stuff.

I too have found very ancient Roman coins here in the keys.....only explanation is that ballast was collected in a European port, and some ancient coins were accidentally transported to the keys with the ballast where the boat sank. Still a mystery to me, but I have found 3 Roman coins mixed in the scattered ballast ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back