✅ SOLVED Calling All Classic Car Buffs! Need I.D. on Mystery Grill!

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon all. Picked up this grille at a yard sale in Southern California and I'm wondering is anyone can help me identify the make and model of the vehicle this came off of? I'd like to advertise it for sale and I know I'd have much more interest if I could call it a '1932 Ford Grille' rather than 'Mystery Grille'. It appears to be in good shape without any notable damage outside of some pitting to the chrome. The wire twisted through the mounts is there because the seller had it hanging on a nail. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Edit: Thanks to Jeff-Gordon's question, I poured over it with a flashlight and found these markings: A 'WB' above a lion image with what appears to say 'Birmingham' underneath, and the numbers '7 10 386 0' above an 'RH'. There is a third stamped image that I can't make out, but I've included a picture of all of the markings further down this thread.

Attachments

• grill1.JPG
    grill1.JPG
    924.5 KB · Views: 135
  • grill2.JPG
    grill2.JPG
    940.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Wow that's a head scratcher. I've been messing with old cars for a long time & it dosn't even look vaguely familiar. My gut first reaction is maybe something old and foreign but I could be way off. You could post it on the Jalopy Journal and probably get an ID in less than a minute but you have to join first in order to post. The H.A.M.B. If you have no luck at all send me a PM and I'll post it over there for you.

Upvote 0
Thanks to Jeff-Gordon's question, I poured over it with a flashlight and found these markings: A 'WB' above a lion image with what appears to say 'Birmingham' underneath, and the numbers '7 10 386 0' above an 'RH'. There is a third stamped image that I can't make out, but I've included a picture of all of the markings.
IMG_2207.JPGIMG_2208.JPG
IMG_2209.JPGIMG_2210.JPG

Upvote 0
NHBandit, After finding the markings, I think you're spot on speculating that it's foreign, probably English judging by the lion passant and 'Birmingham'. Thank you for the offer to post on my behalf. I'll give it a short time on here with the added info and see if that helps.

Upvote 0
NHBandit, After finding the markings, I think you're spot on speculating that it's foreign, probably English judging by the lion passant and 'Birmingham'. Thank you for the offer to post on my behalf. I'll give it a short time on here with the added info and see if that helps.
Well as I suspected it's probably British but that throws a wrench into my offer.. Those guys at the Jalopy Journal are VERY strict about what they allow. If anyone posts anything at all that's not related to traditional hot rod or custom style American cars or trucks prior to 1964 they will be reprimanded and the thread deleted. Hell they would ban me if I posted a pic of my 67 Camaro because it's too "new".. lol

Upvote 0
I could be wrong, but I believe that is from a 1955 Jaguar MKVII. (or another model year close by) of course missing the top part which was attached to the hoodjaguar.jpg

Upvote 0
jewelerguy, if that's not the correct car, it's sure close. I've looked at numerous front angle photos online, and 1955 Jaguar Mark VII grille really is indistinguishable from the one sitting in my garage. I'll leave the post for another hour or so, then mark it as solved. Many thanks to all who contributed!

Upvote 0
If you'll jump thru the hoops to join the AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America (I think)) site you can get an answer. I had over 2500 looks at AACA and Jalopy Journal until I got a positive I.D. on a 29' Packard Radiator. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back