Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
California Sheriff's Deputies Shoot, Kill 13-Year-Old

California Sheriff's Deputies Shoot, Kill 13-Year-Old

(AP) Calif. sheriff's deputies shoot, kill 13-year-old
SANTA ROSA, Calif.
Northern California sheriff's deputies have shot and killed a 13-year-old boy after repeatedly telling him to drop what turned out to be a replica assault rifle, sheriff's officials and family members said.

Two Sonoma County deputies on patrol saw the boy walking with what appeared to be a high-powered weapon Tuesday afternoon in Santa Rosa, sheriff's Lt. Dennis O'Leary said.

The replica gun resembled an AK-47 with a black magazine cartridge and brown butt, according to a photograph released by the sheriff's office. Deputies would only learn after the shooting that it wasn't an actual firearm, according to O'Leary.

Rodrigo Lopez identified the boy as his son, Andy, to a newspaper and said the young teen was carrying a toy gun that belonged to a friend.

After spotting the boy, the deputies called for backup and repeatedly ordered him to drop the gun, O'Leary said in a news release. It wasn't clear whether he pointed the replica assault rifle at the deputies or made any type of threatening gesture. The sheriff's office referred calls to the Santa Rosa Police Department, which did not immediately return a call for comment.

O'Leary said the deputies fired several rounds from their handguns immediately after issuing the orders to drop the rifle.

A neighbor in the area, Brian Zastrow, told the Santa Rosa Press Democrat ( Authorities investigate fatal deputy-involving shooting of 13-year-old Santa Rosa boy | The Press Democrat) he heard seven shots.

"First, I heard a single siren and within seconds I heard seven shots go off, sounded like a nail gun, is what I thought it was," he said.

The boy fell to the ground on top of the rifle, according to O'Leary. He said the deputies ordered him to move away before approaching him and putting him in handcuffs.

They began administering first aid and called for paramedics, who pronounced him dead at the scene. Deputies also found a plastic handgun in the boy's waistband, O'Leary said. The deputies, who have not been identified, have been placed on administrative leave, which is standard after a shooting, O'Leary said.

Community members left candles, teddy bears and flowers at the edge of the field where the teen was shot and questioned deputies' decision to open fire.

"I'm sure you can tell he's a 13-year-old boy," Abrey Martin told KGO-TV. "He's not some maniac."

Rodrigo Lopez told the Press Democrat he last saw his son Tuesday morning.

"I told him what I tell him every day," he said in Spanish. "Behave yourself."

The family was back at their mobile home Tuesday night after identifying the boy's body, the Press Democrat reported.

The newspaper quoted the boy's mother, Sujey Annel Cruz Cazarez, as saying, ""Why did they kill him? Why?"

Andy Lopez was an eighth-grader at Lawrence Cook Middle School, where assistant principal Linsey Gannon said he played trumpet in the band.

"Andy was a very loved student, a very popular, very handsome young man, very smart and capable,'" she said Wednesday. "Our community has been rocked by his loss."

___

Information from: The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, Santa Rosa News, Weather, Sports and Business | PressDemocrat.com | The Press Democrat

"I'm sure you can tell he's a 13-year-old boy," Abrey Martin told KGO-TV. "He's not some maniac."

A 12-year-old student armed with a semi-automatic handgun shot and killed a math teacher and critically wounded two classmates before taking his own life at his Nevada middle school, law enforcement officials said.

Easy to lay blame from the comfort of our easy chairs. Let's find out the facts before laying blame. ??? < - Sad situation all the way around.

This is indeed sad, sad that a 13 year old who did not think about the way the world is, but whats really :censored: sad is the fact that cops nowadays shoot to kill, what happened to the good old days when they were trained to shoot a armed perp in a shoulder to make them drop said weapon, or in a leg...7 shots ?? that's plain old fashioned murder, and I hope they give them the death penalty...they deserve it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had police friends here all my life. They have a dangerous job and you cannot take chances. Don't automatically blame the police when stupidity or MACHO gets in the way of common sense. Kid should have realized how it looks and when a cop tells you to halt or drop it, he means just that. So tired of police bashing by a bunch of anarchy driven idiots and pussies...

You do realize austin,nobody is bashing cops.Its called news.Get a grip on yourself man :laughing7:

man and the state says I am legally insane, man what a reply austin, hope that was not directed towards me lol, anyway to your reply, yeah its a dangerous job, but thats murder anyway you look at it, you dont need to shoot somebody 7 times to incapacitate them.

Mike

I have had police friends here all my life. They have a dangerous job and you cannot take chances. Don't automatically blame the police when stupidity or MACHO gets in the way of common sense. Kid should have realized how it looks and when a cop tells you to halt or drop it, he means just that. So tired of police bashing by a bunch of anarchy driven idiots and pussies...

I guess I'm lucky to be alive! when I was 5 or 6 I always had my Roy Rogers /Lone Ranger 6 shooter strapped to my side.

With plenty of live looking rounds on my belt. Different time I guess. Kids can't even be kids now days.

Anarchy driven? I don't know a single person that wants anarchy, except maybe that bunch of uninformed kids that held up Wall Street. But even they want anarchy to wipe the slate so their own version of totalitarianism can fill the void.

By the way,, Kudos for appropriately identifying the extreme left- right sides though!:tongue3:

Last edited:
Austin - I can read the emotions you have and I understand. I mean really, aim for the leg or arm when someone has a gun on you. Please, any idea how hard it is to shoot someone in the arm or leg, and when your blood is pumping like crazy? Police like to go home to their famlies after work also. BTW - If perp is armed and you shoot him in the leg, guess what????? He's Gonna shoot you back, in the head!! It's a terrible thing that neither the kid or the Cops wanted to happen. Sometimes there are no good and bad side, it just is.

First off I said in the shoulder, not in the leg, the leg comment was just irony, I'd like to think cops are cool under pressure, if not then they shouldn't be cops, and trust me you get shot in the shoulder, you would drop what you are holding, think you have been watching to much Hollywood if you think that somebody will start shooting after their shoulder disintegrates, if everybody in a dangerous profession thought like that there would be corpses everywhere...

Mike

My personal opinion,

First off If you are police, You shouldn't Fire Till after you are Fired At.
the Police Have all the Protective gear they need.
Probably Helmets & Shields, a Vest,
Windows & doors on their Patrol car, And a good Distance between them.
in this case I can't imagine They had any real fear for their own lives, if they did,
they are in the wrong job.

second, if you shoot someone in the Knee, Shin, or Foot they will go Down hard & Drop what they a holding.
only in the movies can someone take 30 shots in the chest & still fire off their guns

and last, What if he were deaf ?
no he wasn't but what if ?
He still would not have reacted.

I agree with those who call this Murder.

I know it will be considered justified homicide,
because they will say they were doing their job protecting the public.

but in the case where there is no proof of imminent danger to anyone,
the rules for police reaction time Needs to be Changed :(

Last edited:
You do realize austin,nobody is bashing cops.Its called news.Get a grip on yourself man :laughing7:

I do.
No, I don't have a record or have ever been in trouble with the law ever. They're nothing but bullies who use intimidation tactics that to me are disgusting, unnecessary and extremely unprofessional.
I personally know people who are cops and have played different sports against them for nearly 30 years. 99% are nothing but pricks with a serious attitude problem whether on duty or off duty. They're poop don't stink. just ask one.

Of course, it's all about experience. Ronzie, your dealings somehow made you hate cops. I have never been treated bad by any law enforcement so I don't have hatred for them.
Jeff - we are not dealing with Robo cop, sorry, but this is the real world. Don't shoot until you are fired upon -sheesh, that is just way out there. Anyone pointing a gun at a cop or anyone needs to be stopped immediatly.
BC - Cops should be cool under pressure - Sorry, there IS NO WAY to "train" for actual situations. No one would be a Cop if that was the requirement. Then with no cops, I would rule the country and none of you could stop me :laughing7:

Ronzie.....you talkin' cops or mounties??

Police. We don't have mounties patrolling in Ontario. Local police and then OPP (Ontario Provincial Police). Like the US state troopers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back