Calaverite?

I am not a rock guy and was not familiar with calaverite until I looked it up. It has gold in it? I guess that makes it valuable... It looks like someone's tooth filling to me.

Hopefully one of our rock guys will be able to give you a postive ID.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response DCMatt , funny it does look like a tooth filling, have a good one sir.

Upvote 0
I suggest taking a small portion and getting it assay tested. That would be the only way to be certain of the mineral content. Remember Calaverite has an estimated 40% gold content. Assay tests can cost around $25 - $50. Also Calaverite does not contain any cleavages, meaning the particles can be very, very tiny.

Upvote 0
But not necessarily will it have a high percentage of gold...that's not what others will tell you, I got 273 lbs. of it or in gram terms it's 123,669 but so far the assays do not reflect a high persentage like what everybody talks about either on this forum or others or any of the other websites. Mine does have Gold and Silver as well as Tellurium, Copper etc., mine must be Low Grade but it's from La Panza Mining District of San Luis Obispo County, California. The assays I have from a Qualified and Certified Lab list it only in oz./ton, ppm,grams/ton etc. ,the mineral spectrometer assays are about the same, Fire Assays seem not reliable cause of the telluride mixture, but that's what I have to go with, I don't know how or who figures out these percentages, but I know it's Calaverite, the hardness and Streak Test prove it to my satisfaction, the rest of the stats from either webmineral or mindat or nevada outback gems concurr to the same findings, but so far it doesn't seem like it's going to run a 20 or 25 or 40 percent. I'm not going to try to post pic's here, if you wanna see some (I've got alot of them) just send me a note and we'll talk. Read where the Market Price was between $8 to $16 per gram, crap, if I was to get $1 per gram I'd be tickled. This stuff looks EXACTLY like what you see on E-Bay or the other Websites of the Mineral/Rockhounds, same crystal structure but with a variance of about 15 percent of the rock I have, has Bornite Crystal covering it or what they call Peacock Ore and it's also got alot of red/black telluride looking colors and also loaded with Yellow Sulphur...The quartz vein broke through this Greenstone Belt or Bed that covers our mining claim and the quartz vein sits DIRECTLY on top of a STRUCTURE Fault...No doubt there's alot more there but who do I find in Dealers that would even be interested in this stuff?....Darrell

Upvote 0
I'm with Broken Knee, I get this when I click on your link:

2015-10-24-14-04-47.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back