Cache containers. Lets see some pics.

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
Cache containers. Let's see some pics.

I'm interested in seeing how different people protected their caches. I just want to see how many different types and shapes and sizes that you guys and gurls have found. I often hear of old mason jars but no descripions on size shape or color. I'm more or less interested in seeing if certain localities tended to use the same items for cache hiding or if it is a person choice. I'm sure not everyone used mason jars and cigarette tins. One lead I have I'm thinking it could be a possibility that I'll find a milk bottle cache. An old family owned dairy farm that bottled their own milk. Hopefully we'll get to see quite a variety. Jason

Re: Cache containers. Let's see some pics.

I found a small cache of silver and gold coins and they were buried in a small pint size green mason jar stamped 1858 and the rest appeared to have been in a metal box that had completel rusted away.

Jars are for the most part what I have heard about because most other forms ie metal boxes or bags of any sort would deteriorate.

I have heard of folks in this area who use to put their things in those old metal milk jugs and bury them. Now days I hear of putting things in PVC pipe and capping the ends before burying them. The old oiutlaw treasures were buried in anything suitable at hand as they expected to dig them up within a short time but didn't always bet back to them as planned. I have heard dozens of rumors about outlaw loot hidden or buried here in OK back in Indian Territory days when it was a sanctuary for them. Very little has ever been discovered or if it was it was not reported for fear of loosing it to the government or insurance companies. In this area you hear of poor folks mostly burying things in fruit jars and they are usually just a few hard earned or otherwise gained riches hidden for fear of theft or other mundane losses.

Tobacco cans were popular, as well as mason jars. A lot of stuff was often stached in the pocket size Prince Albert cans with the flip top. Most caches I have heard of being found were not all that big. I did talk to someone reciently whose grandfather passed away & when they were cleaning out the house, they couldn't move the old brass bed. It had 3 inch legs & the brass balls on the top were removable. The legs were full of silver coins. About $1400.00 face value & there were a lot of GOOD coins in there. No clad stuff. They are still sniffing out the total value & haven't said if they are going to dispose of it. Spotz

if he had that in the bedframe just imagine what else is secreted around the place.......

Just before my father-in-law passed away he told my wife not to throw any of his clothes away. When he passed we found six or seven thousand dollars in bills mostly stashed in the pockets of a lot of his clothing hanging up in the closet. It seems a lot of people his age who went through the depression didn't trust banks and were want to stash money. Boy are my kids going to be disappointed when they search my things when I pass away!

I read about one old man who supposedly buried his loot in copper kettles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back