diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When referring to bullets found by detectorists at C.W. sites,I notice sometimes people refer to certain bullets as pulled or wormed.What exactly does that mean? Also is there a site that anyone knows of to identify different types of C.W. era projectiles? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
When a bullet cant be fired for what ever reason, it must be pulled and I assume wormed might mean the same thing. On the tip of the ram rod is placed a screw and screwed into the soft lead bullet. Then 10 men and two boys pull the ram rod out with the bullet attached. Just kidding about the 10 men and two boys part but it is not a easy task getting one out. If two balls are ran home then one has to be pulled or the barrel will explode. Other reason to pull a ball is wet powder. I know what a worm is and what it is used for but unsure how a ball or conical would show worm abuse. A worm is like a cork screw on the end of the ram rod and it is used for pulling cleaning patches out of the barrel when they come off the cleaning jag. I hope this helps, I'm sure some one here might be able to explain about worm abuse.
Mike

Great answer. Just to add a little. during combat the younger less experianced soldiers. Would often reload and reload, without firing. they would simply be so nervous they would forget to fire. and reload.

Bullet Worm or puller.

ericwt

Attachments

• worm.jpg
    worm.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 250
eric, looks like a patch worm. A bullet puller looks more like a medium shanked screw.

Attachments

• bullet puller.jpg
    bullet puller.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 246
  • patch puller.jpg
    patch puller.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 250
stoney56: You might be right. When I pulled it out of the ground I did not know what it was. Posted to a CW site and that is what I was told.

I wondered why I have so many CW bullets with holes on the top. Learn something every day here.

ericwt

Attachments

• cwbuhole.jpg
    cwbuhole.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 242
A patch worm is used to grab on to a cleaning patch that is lodged inside the barrel that slipped off the cleaning rod. You basically twist it on the cloth to snag it and pull it out.

Thanks for the info. It was found on a CW site. I did not know that was what it was.

Although it certanly looks like a type 69 cal. bullet extractor used on a Model 1816 or Model 1842-69 cal. musket.

I learned a long time ago that there is no way I can know it all.

ericwt

You should find a lot of pulls around camps. I hear they were not suppose to bring their loaded weapon back to camp. So after a battle, patrol, or picket they would unload their weapons before going back into camp.

Great information guys,Thanks to all who replied.Hopefully i'll have some luck in Ga. when I go in Sept..Just trying to learn a little something before I go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back