Buttons, studs. etc.

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_0294.JPGIMG_0295.JPGIMG_0296.JPGDug these things yesterday in this 1870-80s mining camp, and wondering if someone can help ID them???? Item one is a stud type button? with a fully rotateable rear portion that has little wings on it. Think I see the outline of a locomotive on front. Front measures .525 and back portion is .400 wide and .150 thick......Item two is a stud but for what, it's very small. Measures .365 on front and back is .220.......Item three is a one piece button .660 and would guess a standard type button of the period. COMMENTS PLEASE

Last edited:
the third item in the first pic. looks like a curtain weight to me . the use to sew them in the corners to keep the curtain hanging nicely.
just a guess..nice finds.
owg..

Upvote 0
Item two is a stud but for what, it's very small.

Hello Chris,

That little guy is a collar button.
1794-collar-button--on-collar.jpg

Price%20Collar%20Button.jpg

Upvote 0
Pete, the 2nd item is a shirt stud; circa 1880s to turn of the century. The 3rd item is a hem weight, and OWG is correct in saying it was used in draperies, but they were also used in waist coats, uniforms, etc. Because theses hem weights have looked the same for over a 100 years, it's hard to determine the age (could be from CW era to present day), but since it was found in 1870's mining camp, it would be a safe bet to say it was from that era. Neat finds :) Breezie

Upvote 0
Hi Breezie...... I would agree on the hem weight, however it is iron and very light. the cross part is lower than the rest, do inclined to think a button of some sort.?? As to shirt stud? I have a good many of them I used to use in reenactments and the are bigger. Never sat one this small, but could have been a small shirt, Ha

Upvote 0
Item #3 is only .66-inch in diameter, so it is too small/lightweight to be a hem/curtain-weight. It is what we relic-diggers call a "Longjohns" button, because they've been seen on nondug specimens of antique long underwear. But they were also used on pants-flies.

Other people call them simply a "4-hole button." Speaking of that... item #3 has four holes for sewing it onto the clothing. Hem/curtain-weights tend to have only two holes for that.

These thin stamped-sheetmetal 4-hole "Longjohns" buttons have been around since at least the 1840s, and were used on both civilian and military-issue underwear and pants-flies. For educational purposes, see the photo attached below, which show a World War One era version issued on US Army uniform pants. This version is made of zinc, and contrary to what some relic-diggers believe, is is absolutely not from the civil war. As the photo mentions, the larger version (about .66") says "US Army" and the smaller version (about 1/2") simply says "USA."

Attachments

• button_4-hole_WorldWarOne_USA-US-Army_zinc_1918-US-army-uniform_TN.jpg
    button_4-hole_WorldWarOne_USA-US-Army_zinc_1918-US-army-uniform_TN.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back