✅ SOLVED Button?

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an artifact that has all the hallmarks of a button except one thing, the back is concave and lipped. Anyone have a reasonable guess? 20171018_061233.jpg20171018_061249.jpg

This was found in an area where old bands and parades were held, watched. 1860's-1940's. I honestly can't tell what it's made of, has a copper tint but no green, rust, I'm stumped.

Last edited:
Could be a "whizzer"-a child's toy that had strings through the holes.

Upvote 0
I know exactly what you are talking about. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Upvote 0
I think the holes are too close together for a Whizzer toy. For the spinner effect to work when you pull on the twisted strings, the holes in the disc need to be fairly far apart. I believe your find is just an unusual form of button... or, what we'd think is a concave back is actually the front. (I've seen some similar odd-looking civilian Fashion buttons.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm thinking wire shank button back. The front has long since rotted away.

il_fullxfull.1116604041_ivrn.jpg

Upvote 0
I think you fellas are right, the decorative pattern was throwing me for a loop (made me think the back was the front), but yep it's probably a fashion button. Much obliged.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back