Goal

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2005

Attachments

• INFANTERIE.jpg
    INFANTERIE.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 668
Goal said:
Hi, I found this button with two crossed guns in Belgium, there's nothing indicated on the front face and to the back: TREBLE.GILT - STAND.COLOUR. Its diameter : 26mm. Thank you for your help !

Welcome to TreasureNet, Goal... it's great to have you with us!

The backmark on the button indicates that it dates from around 1800-1840 and is probably of British manufacture, and the crossed cannons are an artillery insignia. It is not a British Army button, however. So, it would either have been produced under contract for another nation, or as a stock (generic) pattern available for purchase as a substitute for a custom-struck artillery button.

Whatever the case, it's a nice find!

Upvote 0
Thank you PBK ! indeed, one meets this backmark on certain buttons of the US army Civil War, at this time Belgium is partly under French domination (Napoleon 1st Empire) the involved forces are the French and well allied, in the opposite: Do Prussia, Russia, Sweden, Saxony and the United Kingdom, I thus think that it is about the one of the armies allied in the United Kingdom, can be Sweden closer to the British people ?

Whatever the case, thank's :)

Upvote 0
You have a nice button there Goal! And welcome to T-Net... :)

I have yet to dig a one piece button... :P

Your up early today PBK! Nice ID, I learned something already from ya' today!

Upvote 0
hi all,
just for interest's sake here's a pic of what I was told is an 1860's british marines' button. it's 14 mm dia. note the cannon are on their carriages. cheers HH

Attachments

• somerset-marines-button-1.jpg
    somerset-marines-button-1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0
eborac said:
hi all,
just for interest's sake here's a pic of what I was told is an 1860's british marines' button. it's 14 mm dia. note the cannon are on their carriages. cheers HH

Not sure on the Marines bit, but 1860s sounds about right. Its a Victorian Crown (1838-1902), an looks like a 2 piece button which post dates 1850. What does the back marks say?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back