button identification

Ky Red

Feb 27, 2013
Old military button with a threaded back post.

ForumRunner_20130807_152646.png

It is not a button. It is a US Army collar-insignia disc, and the emblem on yours represents the Quartermaster Corps. Because your disc has a threaded post on the back and it is a "1-piece" disc (the emblem is part of the disc, not manufactured separately and applied onto the disc), your collar-insignia disc dates from 1926 to 1937. Go to the following website and scroll down to "Examples of Gilt collar-discs Type II" and look at the disc on the far right in the row.
Dating Metallic Insignia: Collar Disks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
imagesCA1B5O8W.jpgww1 US Army Quartermaster collar disk ....Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Is there a reason my sword and key are opposite of all the other buttons. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I am not an expert like the cannonball guy but you would think there is a right side and left side...hope this helps

Upvote 0
Osage Express is correct that a different insignia-disc emblem was worn on the right-side and left-side collars of the uniform. The "US" disc was worn on the right, and the Branch-Of-Service disc was worn on the left.

However, Ky Red's disc is definitely from 1926-to-1937, not World War One era. Note that his disc has a "diagonal checkeboard" background, with a tiny acorn inside each square. The WW1 disc background was different, resembling the texture of cloth. Please read the section titled "Type II Disks 1926-37" at the disc-dating website I linked to in my previous post. Okay, to save everybody the trouble of scrolling back upward to that post, here's that link again: Dating Metallic Insignia: Collar Disks

In addition to the background difference:
Note that on the WW1 disc posted by Osage Express, the key's flanged end is on the viewer's left. On the 1926-to-1937 disc, the key's flanged end is on the viewer's right... like it is on Ky Red's disc. Here's the photo of the 1925-to-1937 disc from the website.

Attachments

• insignia_collar-disc_US-Army_Quartermaster-Corps_checkerboard-background_1926-1937_type2qmgilt1.jpg
    insignia_collar-disc_US-Army_Quartermaster-Corps_checkerboard-background_1926-1937_type2qmgilt1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0
This has nothing to do with your piece other than to show how the collar discs were worn. I picked this WWII uniform coat up at a yard sale just for reference material.

Attachments

• WWII uniforms 004a.jpg
    WWII uniforms 004a.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back