Button id

Squab

Nov 29, 2021
CD1355B0-4659-4751-855E-64B6C9BEBB7D.jpeg
Need help identifying button. I know it’s a sporting button and has a lizard or gator on front. Backmark is Dickinson Hammond & Turner. Thanks Brian

Attachments

• A3FE34BD-8E5F-4765-8969-1FF9A6B117FF.jpeg
    A3FE34BD-8E5F-4765-8969-1FF9A6B117FF.jpeg
    807.7 KB · Views: 31

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old button, but I think “livery” rather than “sporting”. I believe I can see a “torse” (a twisted piece of silk) below what I think is intended as a crocodile and, as a generality, livery buttons have their crests resting on a torse but sporting buttons do not. They tend to have a patch of grass, a log or something similar, if anything at all. The torse is a heraldic device used when the crest is separated from armorial.

If it is livery then there are several families who used a crocodile as a crest. Try Googling “Rossiter family crest” for example, since that's the most likely possibility.

The maker is Hammond, Turner & Dickinson (names in that order) of Birmingham, England and they operated under that name between c.1790-1823 before changing name to Hammond, Turner & Sons.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably an early Jamaica military button. The backmark is much more consistent with a military button than a civilian designed one. Nice find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Squab

Nov 29, 2021
Nice old button, but I think “livery” rather than “sporting”. I believe I can see a “torse” (a twisted piece of silk) below what I think is intended as a crocodile and, as a generality, livery buttons have their crests resting on a torse but sporting buttons do not. They tend to have a patch of grass, a log or something similar, if anything at all. The torse is a heraldic device used when the crest is separated from armorial.

If it is livery then there are several families who used a crocodile as a crest. Try Googling “Rossiter family crest” for example, since that's the most likely possibility.

The maker is Hammond, Turner & Dickinson (names in that order) of Birmingham, England and they operated under that name between c.1790-1823 before changing name to Hammond, Turner & Sons.
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. Brian

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to BUTTONS for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum HELP! Description: This section contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread