Button ID???

bklap

Feb 18, 2015
Eastern South Dakota
Detector(s) used
V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was directed to the forum for help IDing the age and usage of the button I found. Here is the information that has been shared with me thus far.

"There is a small problem with the backmark 'Pancroft/Quality' and the button listed on page 42 of the Albert's reference book and the 1940 date. There is only one button that I see listed with the Pancroft/Quality back mark and that is there is only one button listed in the 'American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates, by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon. On page 91 it only list NA-113, 22mm, dark blue or black, c. 1940. If you look in the Albert's book on page 103 this is for a US Navy button. The pictured button above is a US Army button, which by its picture is GI 103 B. I would say that the pictured button is an unlisted button by default. A great find that needs to be looked at closer by the button experts and an update in both Alberts and the Backmark reference book. I would suggest contacting both for inclusion in the next updates."

If there is a "Great Seal" button expert that could help me with identification of this button, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Attachments

• Button Nov.9th,2014.jpg
    Button Nov.9th,2014.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Button reverse Nov.9th, 2014.jpg
    Button reverse Nov.9th, 2014.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 120
Are you sure that's not Bancroft? They made lots of hats for the army, but this doesn't have the usual fastening of a hat button... But, what size is it? If it were the size of a hats chin strap buttons, that may explain why it's not in the books mentioned, which have jacket buttons for the most part, as far as I know.
Edit: come to think of it, I'm unsure if they cover cuff buttons, which this may be... But it's too late for my brain to work

Last edited:
Upvote 0
bklap,
Hang in there. Hopefully help is on the way. If you will, state the size of your button.

Upvote 0
I am bumping this one to the top. Please help Id the time frame for this button. My guess is mid 40s and up but, that's only a guess.

Upvote 0
I searched my Great Seal button thread and I dont seem to have it listed anywhere.

Here is your thread from Whites Button ID??? [Archive] - White's Electronics, Inc. Forums

It appears that the only known buttons with this backmark are Navy. Here is an unknown uniform on the US Militaria Forum with PANCROFT buttons. Unknown Early 20th century (?) US Navy Tunic - UNIFORMS - U.S. Militaria Forum

I searched through my files and found this example: navy button pancroft.jpg

however I can find no example in a Great Seal. So this does appear to be an unknown variety, possibly an officers uniform. . Have you any additional information? Can I add this to my Great Seal thread?

Upvote 0
That looks to me to say Pancraft, rather than Pancroft. I do get more hits online with that spelling.

Upvote 0
Is it just me or does the OP's button look like it has two fronts on it? maybe a Great Seal added over another front. Rockermile made mention of this in BCH's Great Seal thread. It is reply #337 on page 23.

"I believe these button were remanufactured by the Scovill Mf'g Co. around 1923 when the army did away with the blackend or subdued buttons. I think they had such a surplus of WWI buttons that this was done. I also have foreign military and non-military and one Indian Wars eagle button that were refitted with Great Seal faces. If the convex of the button was too high, they simply smashed the face to fit the new face on it. Backmarks are varied. I have at least 20 different backmarks. Most the faces appear to be from the same die."

Upvote 0
That looks to me to say Pancraft, rather than Pancroft. I do get more hits online with that spelling.

Yes I think it is Pancraft. Some show up sold on eBay but I cant get the pics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is it just me or does the OP's button look like it has two fronts on it? maybe a Great Seal added over another front. Rockermile made mention of this in BCH's Great Seal thread. It is reply #337 on page 23.

"I believe these button were remanufactured by the Scovill Mf'g Co. around 1923 when the army did away with the blackend or subdued buttons. I think they had such a surplus of WWI buttons that this was done. I also have foreign military and non-military and one Indian Wars eagle button that were refitted with Great Seal faces. If the convex of the button was too high, they simply smashed the face to fit the new face on it. Backmarks are varied. I have at least 20 different backmarks. Most the faces appear to be from the same die."

Thats a possibility. It does look double face as compared to my pic. That would date it back to WW1.

View attachment 1163923View attachment 1163924

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back