XP Deus 2

Attachments

• 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 103
I think your photo of the button is posted upside-down, and that it is an 1810s-1820s US Navy button, showing a standing eagle with a spade-shaped shield (containing an anchor) on the eagle's left wing.

There are many variations of that type, but going by the shape of the "ground" the eagle is standing on, it looks like button NA-67A in the button-book by Alphaeus H. Albert.

Attachments

• unknown_button_maybe-early-US-Navy_TN_photobySmilodon_027.jpg
    unknown_button_maybe-early-US-Navy_TN_photobySmilodon_027.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 66
  • button_Navy_US_1810s-1820s_1-piece-brass_NA67A_photobyRelicman_B5589A.jpg
    button_Navy_US_1810s-1820s_1-piece-brass_NA67A_photobyRelicman_B5589A.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
I think your photo of the button is posted upside-down, and that it is an 1810s-1820s US Navy button, showing a standing eagle with a spade-shaped shield (containing an anchor) on the eagle's left wing.

There are many variations of that type, but going by the shape of the "ground" the eagle is standing on, it looks like button NA-67A in the button-book by Alphaeus H. Albert.[/QUOTE

That makes sense!

Upvote 0
Good ID, Bryan Hashemi, I've dug those and didn't recognize it until I saw your post.

Upvote 0
Good ID CannonballGuy , I was trying to figure out which side was up by flipping my iPad around, which keeps trying to correct the orientation... Rather dizzying.

Upvote 0

There are many variations of that type, but going by the shape of the "ground" the eagle is standing on, it looks like button NA-67A in the button-book by Alphaeus H. Albert.

Wow thanks for the ID. the only thing is that this button is smaller, like around 14- 15 mm. Is a a cuff button or something?

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Yes, 14-to-16mm is the cuff size button.
"Rule-of-thumb" for 19th-Century US Military button sizes (there are always a few exceptions to any such rule):
12-13mm = kepi (hat) size
14-16mm = cuff size
17-19mm = vest size
20-23mm = coat/jacket size

Upvote 0
At the top of the first post in a What-Is-It forum discussion-thread, you'll see a brown horizontal bar which contains the words "Thread Tools." Click on those words for the option to mark the thread as Solved.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back