✅ SOLVED button id

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this button has what appears to be a plane flying over water with stars overhead. can anyone tell me anything about this? ive already deduced that it cant be older than when man invented the plane, so no comments needed on that aspect of it haha.

plane button 002.JPGplane button 003.JPGplane button 004.JPG

An airplane flying over water does suggest it is a "commemorative" button showing Charles Lindbergh's May 20-21, 1927 first-in-history TransAtlantic flight. But the plane's form is incorrect for his plane, the "Spirit of St. Louis." The single wing of Lindbegh's plane was on top of the plane's body, not underneath like the button's plane. Spirit of St. Louis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, there are two possiblities:
1- It is not Lindbergh's plane, and thus not a "Spirit of St. Louis" TransAtlantic Flight commemorative button.
2- The button-maker got the design of Lindberg's plane wrong.

Because there's nothing on the button but an "unmarked" single-engine plane and a large body of water, I'd lean toward #2 being the answer. If so, your button is late-1920s to early-1930s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
cool, an error button.

An airplane flying over water does suggest it is a "commemorative" button showing Charles Lindbergh's May 20-21, 1927 first-in-history TransAtlantic flight. But the plane's form is incorrect for his plane, the "Spirit of St. Louis." The single wing of Lindbegh's plane was on top of the plane's body, not underneath like the button's plane. Spirit of St. Louis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1- It is not Lindbergh's plane, and thus not a "Spirit of St. Louis" TransAtlantic Flight commorative button.

Because there's nothing on the button but an "unmarked" single-engine plane and a large body of water, I'd lean toward #2 being the answer. If so, your button is late-1920s to early-1930s.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Attachments

• button airplane spirit st louis.jpg
    button airplane spirit st louis.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 355
  • button airplane.jpg
    button airplane.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
Upvote 0

1- It is not Lindbergh's plane, and thus not a "Spirit of St. Louis" TransAtlantic Flight commemorative button.

It appears your #1 theory is correct CBG. I discovered the button by accident on a unrelated search of the extensive Waterbury database. It looks like its not an error button. The Waterbury company has this button listed under Fashion simply as Pattern 81088 "Prop Plane." No mention of the Spirit of St. Louis. Cool fashion button none-the-less. 81088 - Transportation - Waterbury Button

Attachments

• button prop plane.jpg
    button prop plane.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 834
Upvote 0
I've got to add, I still think Bufaloeletric's button is a Spirit-of-St.-Louis commemorative, for two reasons. 1 - It shows the same "scene" as the button with the correct version of airplane... a single-prop airplane flying over water, stars above. 2- I've seen more than just a few instances which prove the Waterbury Button website was definitely written by people who are quite ignorant about the actual ID of the buttons shown in the catalog. I suppose the old ID records got lost, and nobody a Waterbury Button now has the knowledge. I've been tempted several times to send them an email with the correct identifications. Anyway... the ignorance at Waterbury Button is enough that I suspect it's a Spirit-of-St.-Louis and nobody at Waterbury Button nowadays knows its actual ID. But of course, I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
Now that I think more about it 4 years later, I also think its probably depicting the Spirit of St. Louis. After all its just a civilian blazer fashion button. It doesnt have to be correct. I have now seen this button with at least 3 different cheap steel backs. The latest version a more modern self shank. Its a cool looking button but its just for fashion. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Bras...179962?hash=item33b8c3ecba:g:V4YAAOSw9eVXVRVn

Attachments

• lindberg button.jpg
    lindberg button.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 168
  • button back.JPG
    button back.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back