Button ID please !

Bruce Ct

May 7, 2009
Southern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE w/ pro coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this button in a wooded area in central Ct. I've found a few coins in the area incl a large cent and an 1853 silver 3 center.
The "star" appears to be made of long leaves. If you look close you can see the feathered edges.
In between the points it looks like oak leaves protruding from the outer edges.
The construction is two-piece like a military button but the face is flat instead of domed. Markings on the back are "extra rich" but I can't really make out the manufacturers name till I clean it more.
The button was actually sitting on top of the soil when I pushed away the heavy leaf cover.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Bruce Ct

Attachments

• DSCN0746.JPG
    DSCN0746.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCN0747.JPG
    DSCN0747.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 251
Welcome to Tnet. Your button is an 1830's-40's civilian button. We've always put that type in a flower button category. The backmark will probably be Robinson or Benedict & Burnham. I've seen those buttons listed as Texas buttons but know of nothing to prove it. I believe the people who had them listed as that were either mistaken or trying to make a quick buck. If anyone knows differently I would be glad to know.

Upvote 0
Try soaking in some diet coke and then a run with a Q-tip and a toothpick on the back. I think it will be something like "Extra Rich" and maybe London. If you can get more of the front clean - once you are confident with cleaning - it may tell us more.

Dryl

Upvote 0
VaYank, :thumbsup: on the ID! Nice find, Breezie

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Buckleboy's post is good. Here's a couple pics of a nondug one like yours that I have. I may have made a mistake on the backmark. Mine is backmarked Extra Rich Superfine with WW between the words. One w on each side of the button WW stands for Wadham & Webster which would date the button from 1838 to 1846

Attachments

• ww flower.jpg
    ww flower.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 472
  • ww flower2.jpg
    ww flower2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 466
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back