✅ SOLVED Button ID help

Lloydd

Jun 22, 2004
Lewiston, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal. Whites DFX, Garrett 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a friend into detecting a short time ago and his first outing with his new detector netted him with this button and a musket ball. These were found in his back yard here in Western NY and close to an ancient Native American trail going East-West across the state. There has been a lot of activity here from the time of the first French explorers traveling up the Niagara River and beyond Niagara Falls. We are hoping that some of the experts here will be able to shed some light as to how old and where the button came from. Shank is missing and a small hole is drilled which may indicate use by Native Americans. The design seems to be that of a cloth weave pattern which I understand to be a "poor man's cloth covered button", I am not sure if it would be French or British since both were here for The French and Indian War. Any help or comments will be appreciated. Thanks for looking!
Lloyd

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 79
  • button back.jpg
    button back.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 79
Without a size reference, I'm guessing pretty big, as it looks to be a British Dandy Button dating from 1750-1790.

PS. Dandy's were not poor:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Crusader
Thanks for the help! Sorry about the size, it is 31.33 mm or 1.24" on this side of the pond. I was told by some guy here that buttons with a weave pattern were made because most people could not afford real cloth covered buttons. Good to know that the information was wrong. So we have a Real "Dandy" button! Thanks again.
Lloyd

Upvote 0
Crusader
Thanks for the help! Sorry about the size, it is 31.33 mm or 1.24" on this side of the pond. I was told by some guy here that buttons with a weave pattern were made because most people could not afford real cloth covered buttons. Good to know that the information was wrong. So we have a Real "Dandy" button! Thanks again.
Lloyd

Its a fairly common & fashionable decoration at the time. He might be right that its copying a weave but these were not cheap.

Upvote 0
Crusader
I knew I could count on you for a good answer, thanks again.
Lloyd

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back