Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since I ain't been finding Jack, I thought I would ask for help ID ing a button a friend of my found here in Nashville. I figure its railroad related but would love any help.Thanks.

image.jpg

The train buttons come off overalls. Think of the black and white overalls the engineer wore. But that is the first one I have seen with writing on it. Not sure the date, but they can go back a ways.

Upvote 0
Duggap is on the right track :) about it being from a railroad-worker's overalls. I did a websearch for "Challenge overalls" and found the following result:
Indiana Biography Ref. Page

"THE JAY GARMENT COMPANY, of Portland, is an industry with an interesting history, and is not only an important contribution to the prosperity of Portland but contributes to the diversity of Indiana as a great manufacturing state. The owners of the business, Mr. J. A. Williams and Mr. O. R. Easterday, grew up together and have been friends from boyhood, and for years have been partners in their business undertakings. In 1921 they established the Jay Garment Company to manufacture work shirts and overalls and other garments from denim and similar materials. They are the manufacturers of a number of classifications of shirts, jackets and overalls, including the "Bob White Overalls," the "Booster" overalls and jackets, "Challenge" overalls and jackets, and other lines of work and outing shirts and garments."

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for your replies guys,I will be happy to share the info with my friend!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back