Button Help - Do I have a set?

JohnInPA

Jan 31, 2011
South Central PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star; Minelab E-Trac
I found these buttons in my backyard about 20 feet apart, similar depth.

I was wondering if they might have come from the same article of clothing and how old they might be. I believe the larger button is Pennsylvania Railroad. Both seem to have similar backgrounds, which is why I think they might be from the same (?coat?)

I looked on some PRR sites and found the larger button, not an exact match, but very similar. No dates attributed to it.

Any help would be appreciated. My house is about 200-300 yards from an 1800's train station/depot. Tracks are still active today. These were found in my backyard, house built 1910... lots and lots of iron... may possibly have found part of an old lantern as well.

Attachments

• Button PRR Front.jpg
    Button PRR Front.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 222
  • Button PRR Back.jpg
    Button PRR Back.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 216
  • button front.jpg
    button front.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 222
  • button back.jpg
    button back.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 214
Can you make out the backmark on the PRR button?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
creskol said:

Cant make it out. Do you think it would be okay to give this a bath in the ultra-sonic cleaner? There is still a layrt of dirt on the back that wont come loose with running water.

Upvote 0
JohnInPA said:
Are the pictures on that site of modern buttons?
The buttons on that site may be ordered today but Waterbury has been making buttons since 1812 and many are 19th century old designs.

Upvote 0
I would have thought Pennsylvania Railroad, but all their buttons seem to have the "Keystone" symbol on them. Things have a habit of turning up far far away from where you'd think to find them though.....

Upvote 0
I think Eddies got it. He posted an exact match.

We just IDed a German colonial African button dug at an Illionois US Army base. We dont know how things get there but it happens.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,259097.0.html

JohnInPA said:
creskol said:

Cant make it out. Do you think it would be okay to give this a bath in the ultra-sonic cleaner? There is still a layrt of dirt on the back that wont come loose with running water.
Try a hot peroxide bath.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back