Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Button was found on an Atlantic coast homesite with 1702 Spanish cob, 17?? half reale, 1698 William III halfpenny, .58 Minie bullet, Civil War era pipestem part attached to part of bowl and other buttons. The engraving is very fine and perfectly centered and concentric. There may be a circular zone of silver plating in the heavily engraved portion. I am looking for help identifying it.

Attachments

• Gold gilt button back 600.jpg
    Gold gilt button back 600.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 258
  • Gold gilt button plumes 600.jpg
    Gold gilt button plumes 600.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Gold gilt button etch overall.jpg
    Gold gilt button etch overall.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 217
Re: Button gold plated Prince of Wales plumes engraved

Looks to be a typical English 'Dandy' Button with plumes, not associated with the Military, just a Civilian style button. Circa 1780s.

Upvote 0

One of the nicest I've seen dug.

You should post more of your finds. You're obviously in a good area with some great old sites, and judging by your user name we have the same interest!

Upvote 0

Nice, especially around the ocean coast. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch said:

You should post more of your finds. You're obviously in a good area with some great old sites, and judging by your user name we have the same interest!

yes, a little of your magic lemon juice & it will come up nice 8)

Upvote 0

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:

I'd probably leave that one because i bet the green looks much better in person. If you lemon it the dark spots in the the center are going to stand out more. A call that probably has to be made in person, but it's nice regardless.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:

I'd probably leave that one because i bet the green looks much better in person. If you lemon it the dark spots in the the center are going to stand out more. A call that probably has to be made in person, but it's nice regardless.

Only because the Gold would be more shinny :)

Upvote 0

Thank you for the informative and kind replies. A civilian button does sound reasonable. I forgot to mention that it is an inch and an eighth in diameter and its large size made me think it was for a greatcoat.

Upvote 0

AcadienLoyalistMarco said:
Thank you for the informative and kind replies. A civilian button does sound reasonable. I forgot to mention that it is an inch and an eighth in diameter and its large size made me think it was for a greatcoat.

Have you found any marked military buttons? They can certainly show up with the type of finds you are digging.

Upvote 0

I have never found a military button but I believe others have on the sites.
I probably will not clean further because it is nice as is.
And with your encouragement, I will post some other finds, thank you.

Upvote 0

The big size just adds to what I thought, ie. a Dandy Button :icon_thumright:

Below is a typical Dandy Button (haven't got time to go through 55 pages & find an exact match):
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=8871&cat=all

If Military it would be more like:
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=16225&cat=all

Upvote 0

I have never found a military button but I believe others have on the sites.
I probably will not clean further because it is nice as is.
And with your encouragement, I will post some other finds, thank you.

With finds like that it will definitely happen, and the chances of Loyalist military being mixed in is pretty good. It really comes down to how late the site went because you need 1760s to be into Brit. buttons, and 1780s for Loyalist. Your large designed button is a pretty good sign you're in the era for a good military.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back