Fisher CZ3D,
Tesoro Tejon,
Whites 6000 di pro,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Detector Pro Pistol Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all,

I just found this this morning at anbold home site I have been hunting the past year.
Can anyone tell me its approx. age?
I found one like it earlier this year.

Mark

ForumRunner_20131127_115923.png

ForumRunner_20131127_115939.png

ForumRunner_20131127_115950.png

The United Kingdom Detector Finds Database shows your "conical" 1-piece brass button (and info about it) here:
UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

The UKDFD says it dates from the mid-1600s to mid-1800s. In my opinion, it doesn't date back to the 1600s, because the brass wire loop is soldered/brazed onto the button's back. I haven't seen any other 1600s buttons with that form of loop attachment. I've read in several books on Historical buttons that "early" button-makers had serious trouble getting a soldered/brazed loop to stay LONG-LASTINGLY attached, a problem which wasn't reliably solved until the second half of the 1700s. But perhaps there is proof somewhere that such buttons from the 1600s do exist. If so, I hope somebody here will post the proof (with details), so we can all learn about it. Meanwhile, until I see the rock-solid proof, my opinion is that your button dates from the latter-1700s through the early-1800s. The fact that it is a dug one whose loop is still quite firmly attached indicates it was made after the soldered/brazed loop attachment problem was reliably solved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lot of those dome shape buttons were worn during the 1820s-1830s (Andrew Jackson era) but of course they can date earlier like CBG is pointing out.. I've posted a few of mine that I have found in Andrew Jackson era sites.. Kewl find..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back