Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all i finally got in a short hunt on a old farm site nothing to long the finds were good very early flats and muskets balls its a good site , i been sick for 7 weeks somehow i twisted my stomach muscles OUCH!! ENOUGH OF THAT . i need some help with a id of this button ?? i think , it is the same size as a penny not sure which is front or back one side is blank, i can see a eagle on top with a lot of letters around it ,there is a dimple dead center on the piece . I gave it a quick brush with a soft tooth brush and water so far , any help will be thanked HH Jim :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 000_0002_00.jpg
    000_0002_00.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 270
  • 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 268
im no expert, so i cant tell you anything about it. but i believe the side with letters and eagle is the back, and that is just the mark.

the front side is the actual face of the button

Upvote 0
This is a brass/copper button with a missing shank from the 19th c. If you can read the backmark ( words on the back) we can narrow down the age

Upvote 0
RelicHunter97 said:
This is a brass/copper button with a missing shank from the 19th c. If you can read the backmark ( words on the back) we can narrow down the age

I can see 1 word London the second word only -- ART - ? Thanks Jim

Upvote 0
My idea was Vatican PONT MAX... :dontknow:
but i doubt..

Upvote 0
Deepdiger60 said:
RelicHunter97 said:

I can see 1 word London the second word only -- ART - ? Thanks Jim

Plated.

Upvote 0
Definitely a "flat-button." The backmark saying simply "London Plated" with a spread-wing eagle means it is British-made, for export to the American market. It dates from the early 1800s, probably 1815-30. On such buttons, the term "Plated" always means to silverplating, not gold.

Upvote 0
Yes that is it Plated :thumbsup: to bad the Obverse is blank Thanks all for the help :icon_thumleft: Jim

Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Definitely a "flat-button." The backmark saying simply "London Plated" with a spread-wing eagle means it is British-made, for export to the American market. It dates from the early 1800s, probably 1815-30. On such buttons, the term "Plated" always means to silverplating, not gold.
:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back