Bullets, Bullets, Bullets and...Commemorative!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi there, I went out MDing today on my day off since it was in the 70s today. I walked to one of my old sites in the woods. I found 27 old bullets that I somehow missed the past times that I have been there ??? . I dont know why all those bullets are there. The only thing I can think of is that there is an Army ammunition plant less than a half mile away. Most of the bullets looked military. Anyway, I was about to leave, but I decided to check the path leading to the house and I got a really strong signal. When I dug down, I hit a stone and my shovel slipped and scraped across the stone revealing this commemorative token. It says "To Commemorate the Opening of the Louisville Minicipal Bridge, Nov. 1929" "Three Minutes From Southern Indiana to the Heart of Louisville", and on the back it says "The Retail Merchants Assn. Welcomes You to Louisville, A Superior Shopping Center Kentucky Hospitality." I also found this neat bottle with the name "Jeff-Kola" on it. Who knew they had a "Kola" named after my city ;). Let me know what ya think. HH!

Fox

Attachments

• finds32905_1.jpg
    finds32905_1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 439
  • finds32905_2.jpg
    finds32905_2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 437
  • finds32905_3.jpg
    finds32905_3.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 436
Upvote 0
Thats a nicely detailed token and the bottle is cool too!They must of missed rhat one during target practice LOL H/H to ya

Thank God they did too, I have never seen another bottle like it around here. The ground is littered with broken glass like it was target practice. HH!

cool finds. I think the bridge is US31 still in use today. Runs beside I-65 bridge. I've been over it in my semi. Nice pop bottle. I've started saving rare bottles that I find on hunts.

Very cool finds!!!
I'll have to ask my mother about that bottle. She grew up across the raod from the Jefferson prooving grounds just north of Madison, on 421... She was born in Crossplains. I seen on another post, that you were from that area. I would love to get down that way and hit some of my mother family's home sites. We stiil have some family there in Madison...
Also, do they let you detect the old prooving grounds? I would think there would be some good finds around some the old buildings...

AWSOME, Token & Bottle.

I gotta get me one of them Bottles ;D

J E F F

Uh....not to be nit picky, but I only see one bullet. The others are cartridge cases....the first group appears to be .30-30 Winchester which is a deer hunting cartridge. The two short cartridge cases next to the .244 Remington look like either .308 Winchester (7.62 NATO) or possibly .243 Winchesters. Both cartridges are built on the same cartridge case, just one has a smaller diameter bullet than the other. I am a shooter and reloader and will be happy to help anyone identify an unknown cartridge or cartridge case they may find. Good stuff!

A "Proving Ground" is a military base or facility whose main purpose is used to test weopons or other systems. Basically, the new weapon system or other equipment has to "prove" itself at these facilities before general release to the active duty line units for use. During my intial Army training, I spent some time at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland, which is a "proving ground" or test facility for ammunition and ordinance.

jimmileo said:
Uh....not to be nit picky, but I only see one bullet. The others are cartridge cases....the first group appears to be .30-30 Winchester which is a deer hunting cartridge. The two short cartridge cases next to the .244 Remington look like either .308 Winchester (7.62 NATO) or possibly .243 Winchesters. Both cartridges are built on the same cartridge case, just one has a smaller diameter bullet than the other. I am a shooter and reloader and will be happy to help anyone identify an unknown cartridge or cartridge case they may find. Good stuff!

Hi there Jim, I did some research on the cartridges that I couldnt identify. ?The first 4 cartridges are slightly larger than a 30-30 round, and I believe them to be turn of the century British Military. ?The other 2 next to the .244 bullet are 7.62mm Itilan cartridges. ?The first pic is of the back of the British cartridge, and the second pic is of the Itilan cartridge. ?I think I was hunting at a site where they tested different types of military ammo for WWII, because it is right next to a WWII Army Ammunition plant. ?HH!

Fox

Attachments

• bm1.jpg
    bm1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 286
  • bm2.jpg
    bm2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 269
I wonder what is lying in the ground on the old Indiana Army Ammunition Plant grounds. That was a large facility much of which is inactive now with some of the property being a state (or is it a county) park. Some of the buildings, including the one my mother worked in when I was young, are now leased out to private companies.
Oh, and by the way, great finds. Love the bottle and token. Jeff-Kola was definately before my time. Anyone know if they still hold the speedboat races on the river up in Madison. It used to be a yearly event. I remember going one year when I was probably about 5 or 6 years old.
Sorry, getting caught up in old memories. Anyway, HH.

downindixie said:
Hey! I want to hear about the belt buckle.Anything written on it?Whats it made of?Looks to be very old.How about age?

Hi there Dixie, I really dont know anything about the buckle. There arent any letters or numbers anywhere on it. As for age, i would have to say mid to late 1800s. Has anyone else found a buckle like this who knows about when it was made? I have been just as curious about it as well. HH!

Fox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back