Bullet?

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Metal detecting and found this near my mailbox today....Is it a bullet? Rather new vs. historical? Maybe I had better duck when I retrieve my mail. Thanks for any ID info. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506665388.190139.jpg

Last edited:
Modern full metal jacket. It's impossible to say exactly what caliber it was via your picture, but looks to be about the size of a .380 or 9mm

You haven't coveted your neighbors wife have you?

Upvote 0
Thanks. "Modern" is what I guessed. I am used to finding hunting shell shots but not this type. What is this kind of bullet used for, generally, and what kind of gun shoots it? I know little about guns. LOL Icewing, no...haven't coveted either partner [emoji6].

Upvote 0
Full metal jacket bullets are strictly a target shooting round since they don't expand upon impact and tend to pass through soft tissue leaving only a small puncture wound and minimal cavitation. Therefore they are illegal for hunting and self defense because they result in game being injured and running away. Hollow points and other types of expanding bullets transfer a greater amount of energy to their target thus taking down and killing the animal (or person) much more efficiently.

As for the type of gun, well that's where needing calipers to measure the diameter of the bullet comes into play. It could have been from a .30 caliber carbine rifle or a .380 caliber hand gun, it's just too hard to tell based on the photo above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes a bullet, I find modern bullets in subdivisions all the time, I have come to the conclusion it is from drunk knuckle heads shooting their guns in the air new years eve.

Upvote 0
Full metal jacket bullets are strictly a target shooting round since they don't expand upon impact and tend to pass through soft tissue leaving only a small puncture wound and minimal cavitation. Therefore they are illegal for hunting and self defense because they result in game being injured and running away. Hollow points and other types of expanding bullets transfer a greater about of energy to their target thus taking down and killing the animal (or person) much more efficiently.

As for the type of gun, well that's where needing calipers to measure the diameter of the bullet comes into play. It could have been from a .30 caliber carbine rifle or a .380 caliber hand gun, it's just too hard to tell based on the photo above.

Thanks Icewing! Very informative and I will avoid being the target ;). I appreciate the info.!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back