Bullet?

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
I found a couple of these at a site that also had minie balls and a round ball. It's very small and has marks on it similar to bullets I found.

ForumRunner_20140516_195320.png

Thanks, I think your correct. I did find a lot of modern bullets too. Am I correct that these are minie balls?

ForumRunner_20140516_201002.png

Upvote 0
Thanks, I think your correct. I did find a lot of modern bullets too. Am I correct that these are minie balls?

View attachment 995662

It's possible that the one on the far left is a lightly damaged CW-era Enfield of some persuasion, and really not sure about the 2nd one. #'s 3 and 4 are post-CW heavy cast bullets. #5 is a round cast shot. It would require some exact dimensions to tell you what caliber they are or what firearms they were intended for.

A Minie ball is a cylindrical bullet with (usually, but not always) a hollow base, developed by Claude Minie around 1850. Here's some pics of various bullets which could be generally referred to as Minie Balls...

attachment.php

Upvote 0
Not mini balls. From the right, round ball, then two what looks to be 45-70 bullets, and left of that my swag is they are paper patched bullets. They appear to be larger than the .45's, perhaps they are .50-90 Sharps, something like that. The round ball also appears to be larger, perhaps .50 or .54 caliber. The elongated bullets, if they are what I'm guessing they are, could date from the 1870's until now. I have a friend that shoots a paper patched .50-90 Sharps. The only way you can get an accurate ID on a bullet is to include exact measurements to one one-thousand's of an inch. Example, the diameter of a .45-70 bullet is .457.
50-90 sharps.jpgThis is a 50-90 (.50 Sharps) with a .492" diameter bullet patched to .502" (slightly over bore diameter), over 95 grains of black powder

Upvote 0
Because the photo shows the bullet alongside a US dime, whose diameter is .705-inch, and the bullet's diameter is a bit less than 1/3rd of the dime, the bullet is most likely a .22-caliber bullet. Specifically, it appears to be one of the versions of .22 "Long Rifle" bullet manufactured sometime in the 20th Century.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back