gulfrebinms

Oct 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_20131209_161617.jpg
    IMG_20131209_161617.jpg
    1,016.9 KB · Views: 94
Where did you find it? Ground, Water, Desert type terrain? Soil conditions really have a lot to do with patina's . That bullet in question does look more modern to me, however....I am in NO WAY an expert as I have had to have my fair share of lead ID'd by the good folks here at Treasurenet. Any history in the area where you found it? or any coins with dates that would help these guys/gals ID it for you?

Upvote 0
We need you to use a Digital Caliper to measure the diamter of the undamaged midsection of the bullet's body in hundredths-of-an-inch. Also, we need to know whether it has a solid flat base or a cavity in the base.

Meanwhile, it appears to be a fired .50-70 Springfield Rifle bullet, made from 1866 into the 1880s. You can see a fired .50-70 Springfield bullet on the right in the photo below.

If you dug it in Mississppi it may have been fired by postwar yankee Occupation troops. However, many thousands of .50-70 Springfield rifles got sold as "military surplus" to the public for game-hunting after the US Army adopted the Model-1873 Springfield rifle. The other photo shows a casting-mold for making .50-70-450 bullets which was produced by Winchester in 1880 for owners of the military-surplus .50-70 Springfield rifles.

Attachments

• bullet_POSTWAR_Gatling_1inch-caliber_Indian-Wars_ARH_photobyKeogh.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_Gatling_1inch-caliber_Indian-Wars_ARH_photobyKeogh.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 61
  • bullet_postwar_50-70-450-Government_bulletmold_1880-Winchester-marked_Ebay.jpg
    bullet_postwar_50-70-450-Government_bulletmold_1880-Winchester-marked_Ebay.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0
I found it at an old railroad station and place that was stage stop and all in 1800's I don't have no calipers or mic but it is smaller than the 58 and I was thinking it was after the civil war it was in kinda sandy and wooded dirt lot of roots I have found thousands of civil war bullets and it looked more modern to me found it using my t2 thanks everyone

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back