SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Somebody and I are arguing about this bullet. He believe it is Civil War. I say it is Post Civil War. Please let me know which one it is. Hopefully I can show him y'all's answers so he will know for the future thanks.

image-722105859.jpg

Absolutely a post-civil-war bullet. As a relic digger myself, I can understand why your friend would very much prefer to think it is a civil war bullet. But if he is so sure about that, ask him to show you that exact version of bullet (including the 4 body-grooves and the crimp-mark from a metal cartridge-casing) in ANY of the books on civil war bullets. I guarantee you he won't be able to do that... because it is definitely a post-civil-war bullet. I'm sorry to have to disappoint him, but wouldn't he rather know the truth about it?

Please measure its diameter (in hundredths-of-an-inch) with a Digital Caliper, and show us whether its base is flat or has a cavity in it. With that information, we might be able to give you its specific identification.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Absolutely a post-civil-war bullet. As a relic digger myself, I can understand why your friend would very much prefer to think it is a civil war bullet. But if he is so sure about that, ask him to show you that exact version of bullet (including the 4 body-grooves and the crimp-mark from a metal cartridge-casing) in ANY of the books on civil war bullets. I guarantee you he won't be able to do that... because it is definitely a post-civil-war bullet. I'm sorry to have to disappoint him, but wouln't he rather know the truth about it. Please measure its diameter (in hundredths-of-an-inch) with a Digital Caliper, and show us whether its base is flat or has a cavity in it. With that information, we might be able to give you its specific identification.

Thank you CannonballGuy. I dig lots of Civil War bullets and he just won't take no for an answer from me. So hopefully when I show him this he will agree. Thanks for your help CannonballGuy!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back