Bullet length.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Bullet top.JPG
    Bullet top.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Bullet weight one ounce.JPG
    Bullet weight one ounce.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 107
Your caliper is analog, which makes the calculation harder... but your modern blackpowder-shooter bullet appears to measure .530, which means it is for a .54-caliber muzzleloading rifle, such as a Repro of the .54 "Mississippi" Rifle of civil war fame. (I've still got a Repro one, from my Re-enactor years.)

Upvote 0
Math is off a bit. That caliper reads .40625 (3/8+4/128).

.40 caliber

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Upvote 0
Pardon me, HangnMoss, but I think you are mistaken. To read that type of caliper, look for where the sliding-scale's Zero-mark is, in relation to the "fixed" scale on the caliper's main body. The "lower" Zero-mark is at a teeny bit past the caliper's .525-inch mark, which means approximately .530-inch. (Or if you prefer, the "upper" Zero-mark is at a teeny bit past the caliper's 1/2-inch mark.)

But if I'm mistaken, I'm sure the caliper's owner (Paleopilot) will let us know.

Upvote 0
Yep, my mistake, my analog caliper is read from the inside edge.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Upvote 0
Sorry about the "old school" Mitutoyo, thank you CannonballGuy for the ID. It just looked different than some other similar bullets. I'm not familiar with the "Lyman Mould" thing either, but I love learning. Thank you again...:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Old school caliper.JPG
    Old school caliper.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Old school Mitutoyo.JPG
    Old school Mitutoyo.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0
For the past several decades, Lyman has been THE major manufacturer of bullet molds for blackpowder shooters. (I spelled it as Lyman Mould because that's the way Lyman spells the word for a metalcasting "mold.") Here's a link to a chart showing some (but not all) of the many-many Lyman cast-bullet varieties. The closest match-up for your bullet on that chart is #445369 and #445599 ...but I don't think they are .54 caliber, based on the weight stated in the chart. Perhaps yours is an obsolete version in .54-caliber, no longer being listed in the sales-chart. Ol' Buffalo Bullet Mold Tables

If you wish to pursue the subject further, send photos of your bullet to the good folks at www.castboolits.gunloads.com. You'll find a staggering amount of info on modernday Blackpowder Shooting/Hunting and modernday cast-lead bullet molds there.

Upvote 0
For the past several decades, Lyman has been THE major manufacturer of bullet molds for blackpowder shooters. (I spelled it as Lyman Mould because that's the way Lyman spells the word for a metalcasting "mold.") Here's a link to a chart showing some (but not all) of the many-many Lyman cast-bullet varieties. The closest match-up for your bullet on that chart is #445369 and #445599 ...but I don't think they are .54 caliber, based on the weight stated in the chart. Perhaps yours is an obsolete version in .54-caliber, no longer being listed in the sales-chart. Ol' Buffalo Bullet Mold Tables

If you wish to pursue the subject further, send photos of your bullet to the good folks at www.castboolits.gunloads.com. You'll find a staggering amount of info on modernday Blackpowder Shooting/Hunting and modernday cast-lead bullet molds there.
Many thanks for the help and links...:occasion14:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back