Bullet ID

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• mini_nh.jpg
    mini_nh.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 158
traderoftreasures said:
i would guess a sharps
Agreed unlisted sharps.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Description Nice dug unlisted Sharps .54 caliber bullet. Measures .534 diameter and .888 length with number 13 base. Dug Perryville Battlefield (private property), Kentucky.

Attachments

• BU29a1.jpg[1].jpg
    BU29a1.jpg[1].jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the info and the welcome. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Because there are so many varieties of Sharps bullets, I'll give you your specimen's specific ID.

At almost "an inch long" (as you say) ...if it is .95-to-.98" long, it is a Long-model "Commercial" Sharps bullet, made for the .52-caliber Sharps Rifle/Carbine. It is called the "commercial" Sharps bullet because it was put on the market for civilian use, rather than for the army. (That is why we civil war relic-hunters dig significantly fewer of this type than the types sold to the US Army in vast quantities. The "commercial" version is distinguished by not having a raised ring around its base.

There is also a Short-model (.89-to-.90") Sharps Commercial .52 bullet ...as shown in the photo posted by Timekiller. To determine for certain which one you found, check its length with some digital calipers. (Every bullet-digger & collector should own such calipers -- which now sell for less than $20. If you don't, please check Ebay or your local Harbor Freight Tools store or Home Depot. Heck, WalMart might even have them nowadays.

Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Because there are so many varieties of Sharps bullets, I'll give you your specimen's specific ID.

At almost "an inch long" (as you say) ...if it is .95-to-.98" long, it is a Long-model "Commercial" Sharps bullet, made for the .52-caliber Sharps Rifle/Carbine. It is called the "commercial" Sharps bullet because it was put on the market for civilian use, rather than for the army. (That is why we civil war relic-hunters dig significantly fewer of this type than the types sold to the US Army in vast quatities. The "commercial" version is distinguished by not having a raised ring around its base.

There is also a Short-model (.89-to-.90") Sharps Commercial .52 bullet ...as shown in the photo posted by Timekiller. To determine for certain which one you found, check its length with some digital calipers. (Every bullet-digger & collector should own such calipers -- which now sell for less than $20. If you don't, please check Ebay or your local Harbor Freight Tools store or Home Depot. Heck, WalMart might even have them nowadays.

Thank you very much. Yes, I know, I do need a set of calipers. My diggin' buddy has a set and measured my last one for me - a CD Leet. Anyway, I'll measure this one w/calipers and post back here what I find. So are you saying the commercial version is more "valuable?" Sorry to sound so ignorant. I've been a CW buff since I was a kid but only started detecting and relic hunting last year.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Ranger Rick wrote:
> So are you saying the commercial version is more "valuable?"

Yes... but not by very much. Some civil war bullet dealers list them for a couple of bucks more than the most common type of Sharps.

Sometimes it seems like there were fully half-a-million yankee cavalrymen -- and most of them were carrying a Sharps Carbine & Sharps bullets. ;-) To get even the extra couple of bucks, ya gotta find a collector who wants to own an example of each of the four "major" variations of the largest-caliber Sharps bullets (listed from most-common to rarest, those four are: the "standard," the Commercial, the Ringtail, and the Multi-Groove).

Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Ranger Rick wrote:
> So are you saying the commercial version is more "valuable?"

"Yes... but not by very much. Some civil war bullet dealers list them for a couple of bucks more than the most common type of Sharps."

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back