North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all you bullet buffs.
My Mom brought me a great National Geographic magazine (2005 edition) that had a section on the Civil War. There was a great informative pullout section too. Pictured.
One of the bullets in the picture looked similar to one I found some time ago on the farm property I hunt.
Is my bullet a Henry Repeating rifle .44 caliber also?
It has a copper casing too.
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 385
  • MVC-018S.JPG
    MVC-018S.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 413
  • MVC-017S.JPG
    MVC-017S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 351
  • MVC-019S.JPG
    MVC-019S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 394
  • MVC-014S.JPG
    MVC-014S.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 563
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 382
ModernMiner,
Your find might be an old cartridge,but the rim is thicker than any I've ever seen. It certainly is not a .44 Henry,which is a rimfire round. I will check my cartridge books and post here if I find one like it. The odd thing I see on your find is the recessed base. I doubt it is a cartridge at all. But I have no guesses as to what it is. Here is a photo of some Henry cases I have found. Note the double firing pin marks made by the two firing pins of the Henry rifle.

Attachments

• 44 Henry headstamps.JPG
    44 Henry headstamps.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,290
  • 44 Henry headstamps.JPG
    44 Henry headstamps.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 416
Upvote 0
junkdigger said:
ModernMiner,
Your find might be an old cartridge,but the rim is thicker than any I've ever seen. It certainly is not a .44 Henry,which is a rimfire round. I will check my cartridge books and post here if I find one like it. The odd thing I see on your find is the recessed base. I doubt it is a cartridge at all. But I have no guesses as to what it is. Here is a photo of some Henry cases I have found. Note the double firing pin marks made by the two firing pins of the Henry rifle.

Thanks JD.
I appreciate the info. Great picture and cartridges you posted.
-MM-

Upvote 0
Part of a longer cartridge corroded off at the base of the bullet?

Upvote 0
I believe that your cartridge is a 12mm Perrin revolver cartridge. It is Civil War and quite rare as only about 550 of the guns were purchased by the U.S.A.

I can't get any of my links to work so Google 12mm Perrin thick rim cartridge.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
hasbeen said:
I believe that your cartridge is a 12mm Perrin revolver cartridge. It is Civil War and quite rare as only about 550 of the guns were purchased by the U.S.A.

I can't get any of my links to work so Google 12mm Perrin thick rim cartridge.

hasbeen

Hasbeen,
Thank you so much. I hope you are correct. That would make me one happy MDer. I've been finding a lot of CW relics at the farm where I found this one.
I'll try to find it on Google. THANKS!
-MM-

Upvote 0
Well, I found these two pictures on the web of a 12mm Perrin catridge.
In the photo with the 8 different cartridges, the Perrin 12mm is on the far left.
What do you think?
-MM-

Attachments

• 12mm2.jpg
    12mm2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 925
  • Perrin 12mm.jpg
    Perrin 12mm.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 4,270
Upvote 0
MM, when I looked at the 12mm Perrin cartridges on various websites,I thought your find couldn't be one. BUT,the photo of the cartridge base that you posted looks to me to have an inserted disk of a different metal in the base. Cartridges have been made by different manufacturers in different ways,especially in the early days. That way of making a cartridge would work,and it would explain the recess in the base of your find. That inserted disk might have been iron,which would have rusted away. So now,I think you have a RARE 12mm Perrin cartridge! Now go find the revolver!

Upvote 0
Also,that disk could have been pushed in by the hammer of the revolver on firing. In this case the cartridge was a misfire,and the "dud" was discarded. I think I see the disk still there.

Upvote 0
Definately not the .44 cartridge..... But must admit the Perrin seems to be about right. I just love that chart you have, that should help you lots.

180px-455in_SAA_Ball_-_Webley_455_Ammunition.jpg

This picture is the .44 webley round.

God bless
Peter

Attachments

• 180px-455in_SAA_Ball_-_Webley_455_Ammunition.jpg
    180px-455in_SAA_Ball_-_Webley_455_Ammunition.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 813
Upvote 0
junkdigger said:
MM, when I looked at the 12mm Perrin cartridges on various websites,I thought your find couldn't be one. BUT,the photo of the cartridge base that you posted looks to me to have an inserted disk of a different metal in the base. Cartridges have been made by different manufacturers in different ways,especially in the early days. That way of making a cartridge would work,and it would explain the recess in the base of your find. That inserted disk might have been iron,which would have rusted away. So now,I think you have a RARE 12mm Perrin cartridge! Now go find the revolver!

Thanks JD. The farm I hunt seems to amaze me all the time. I never know what I'm going to find. I feel pretty lucky to have this site right by work where I can just pop over at lunch and find things from the 1800's almost on a daily basis. I'm really looking forward to hunting the streams and marsh area once it gets cold here.
Thanks again,
Doug

pgill said:
Definately not the .44 cartridge..... But must admit the Perrin seems to be about right. I just love that chart you have, that should help you lots.

This picture is the .44 webley round.

God bless
Peter

Thanks Peter. That chart came in the April 2005 National Geographic magazine. It's a very nice piece. A great article about the CW in there too.
-Doug-

Upvote 0
Sorry ModernMiner, I had the wrong picture on my post, but have not corrected it for you ;)

God bless
peter

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back