Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug this in a field where we have found some musket balls, a minie ball and some modern bullets. Not sure that this is even a bullet, but it's lead, and I don't know what else it would be. Anyone know? Thanks!
IMG_8834.jpg
IMG_8836.jpg
IMG_8837.jpg

Your long hardened-lead bullet's apparent diameter being less than .50-caliber but above .40-caliber, and its shallow cup/bowl base cavity, make it appear to be a late-1800s rifle bullet, from a metallic cartridge. Being in such heavily corroded condition, I can't be sure whether it is one of the Sharps rifle bullets from that time period, or some other variety.

Upvote 0
Your long hardened-lead bullet's apparent diameter being less than .50-caliber but above .40-caliber, and its shallow cup/bowl base cavity, make it appear to be a late-1800s rifle bullet, from a metallic cartridge. Being in such heavily corroded condition, I can't be sure whether it is one of the Sharps rifle bullets from that time period, or some other variety.

Thanks! That time period would mean that the bullet probably belonged to one of my own ancestors.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back