IMG_3221.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3220.jpeg
    IMG_3220.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3219.jpeg
    IMG_3219.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
I've got one very similar, but no cigar.
Mine is ~9/16" diameter, ~13/16" long, but same basic shape and ring pattern.

Upvote 0
Yes, your excavated 160-year-old bullet has at least .01-inch (or more) of lead-oxide patina built up on its sides.

According to the Thomas-&-Thomas book ("A Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges, the bullet when fresh-from the mold measured .455" in diameter. Add one hundredth-of-an-inch of lead-oxide patina, and you're pretty close to your bullet's diameter.

The .455 bullet was loaded into the revolver's cylinder, whose tunnel was manufactured a bit larger than the pistol's .440 bore. Note that the bullet's base does not have an expansion-cavity, so the gunmaker relied on firing-blast to force the "oversized" bullet into the bore's rifling-grooves. Fired Colt .44 bullets often show beautifully sharp rifling-groove marks. I hope that explanation is clear enough to be sufficient.

Don't be fearful or embarrassed to ask such questions. It's how most of us learned what we know... because often the question isn't asked in any book -- or, readily-available book.

For anybody here who doesn't already own "The Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges":

Regards,
Pete

Upvote 6
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back