Feb 15, 2015
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So found this on an old homestead, and it's making my brain hurt! When I dug it, thought "hot dog another 22 casing :thumb_down:" but this is weird. It SEEMS to be one piece, closed at both ends (one end slightly larger in diameter than the other), both ends show a rim fire and also a "U" on both (again one U is bigger than the other). Union Metallic Cartridge Co? 22?? Why closed? Did someone put 2 together? If so they did a fine job! Any ideas?

IMG_0901.jpgIMG_0902.jpgIMG_0904.jpg

That looks to me like a .25 stevens long rimfire with a .22 rimfire pushed into the open end. If you have a micrometer check the diameter of the longer outer casing, i'll bet it's larger in diameter than .22

Upvote 0
22 mag or Hornet?

Upvote 0
Another possibility... That may be a .22 WRF with a .22 pushed into open end. Again, measure diameter & length of case with micrometer, that should help solve the mystery. The .22 WRF has a distinct line in the case like your photo shows, so does the .25 Stevens long rimfire. The .22 magnum has no visible line around case & is 24 mm in length. .22 hornet is a centerfire. good luck :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
I've done that before out of bordem while squirell hunting, with shotgun shells as well.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back