Bullet cartridges

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys,
I know this isn't necessarily a "what is it" question, but I couldn't find a better sub-forum to put it in so I reasoned that this was the best place. Anyways, I have heard that old bullet cartridges are often shorter than modern ones. Is this true to your knowledge?
Thanks in advance!
C4C

Depends on the caliber. A .38 Special is similar to a .357 Magum except the latter is 1/10" longer. This was done to prevent the more powerful modern round from chambering in an older revolver.

As metalurgy got better the rounds became more powerful and could hold more of the slower burning modern powders and build greater pressures. But then again the old Sharps calibers are much longer than the more powerful modern short magnums. Length is not the only indicator.

Some lever action carbines were pretty weak and chambered the shorter pistol calibers. All yu had to kill or disable with a repeater was a man, and multiple shots were the advantage over power and range. (The closer an enemy is the more critical to land hits). For hunting the more powerful breechloading rifled firearms have always gone with power (and accuracy) over multiple quick shots.

Upvote 0
I have heard that old bullet cartridges are often shorter than modern ones. Is this true to your knowledge?
Thanks in advance!
C4C

Not true. Old black powder cartridges contained a case full of powder. Example -- 45-70 means the cartridge contained a .45 caliber bullet and the case held 70 grains of black powder with the bullet seated on the powder. Without getting too involved, there can be no air space between black powder and the bullet, the air space causes a dangerous pressure increase, and the possibility of damaging the gun from ringing the barrel to actually blowing it up. So, 25-35 cartridge means a .25 caliber bullet and 35 grains of black powder with a case sized to hold that much powder, and there are a lot more calibers than those tow. Now days modern smokeless powders don't require the bullet to be seated on the powder, but the cartridge cases are still the same size as they were when the original black powder cartridge was developed. I shoot a 25-35 and a 30 -30 with smokeless, the cartridges are the same as when designed for black powder. There are many cartridges that have been developed since the black powder era, and those don't relate to the amount of powder rule. 30-06 equals .30 caliber bullet and the cartridge was developed in 1906. .25 - 06 is a .25 caliber bullet with the cartridge developed off the 30-06 case, and it goes on from there and can be very confusing. The simple answer is no, there is no difference.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back