Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any ideas? Reference is a 9mm round. Thanks

image-2501374512.jpg

image-1356110255.jpg

image-2694325580.jpg

What kind of site did you find it. Civil war, modern? Have a micrometer? Mic it .36 and .44 are to most common pistol caliber of the civil war era. Judging by the comparision it is in the size or close and design I belive is the era.

Upvote 0
Yes it was found in Brookhaven MS, an area that has Civil War history. Notably Col. Griersons Raiders went through the town. Sorry no micrometer. Thanks for the info

Last edited:
Upvote 0
9mm is something like .355 caliber, so my swag would be you found a fired .38 caliber bullet. The actual size of a .38 bullet is actually smaller than .38, in truth it's .357/.358 which I suppose makes sense to some, but I scratch my head over it. The .38 measures the loaded brass, which isn't done on any other bullet I know about. The .38 has been around since the 1890's, and is still made today.

Upvote 0
Well that could make sense 1700 horse troopers rampaging through the area. Most of the revolvers that would have been carried by cav troopers would be 36 or 44 caliber. That looks very close to 36 to me. I not saying it is that era bullet but it is very odd and I dont reconize it as a modern design.

Upvote 0
Looking into it Bosnmate might be onto something. That is VERY similar to some of the 38 Long Colt bullets.

Ideal #1

Bottom picture. That mold is going to drop very close to that design. That size bullet is also still very popular in many revolvers today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let me locate a micrometer and I'll get back to you all. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
It looks way too long for a pistol slug. Perhaps from a .38-55 Winchester rifle. It doesn't look like a CW era projectile. More exact diameter needed.

Upvote 0
Jeremy76 wrote:
> Let me locate a micrometer and I'll get back to you all.

Here's a link to a selection of excellent Digital Calipers for $9 to $19.99. Very-precise measuring of bullets, buttons, buckles, and coins is often needed for CORRECTLY identifying them.
Search results for: 'caliper'

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back