All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• CS Gardners 1.jpg
    CS Gardners 1.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 79
  • CS Gardners 2.jpg
    CS Gardners 2.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 72
Yes they are gardners. If you can find that many of those there should be some neat brass in there somewhere.

Upvote 0
I agree with Duggap... all of those bullets are civil war Gardner "Minie-bullets." The Gardner type has two wide more-or-less "flat-bottomed" grooves and has a DEEP cavity shaped somewhat like the inside of a coffeecup in its base. They are strictly Confederate-made. Frederick Gardner received Confederate States Patent #12 dated August 12, 1861 for his bullet and cartridge-making machine. Gardner bullets were made in .54, .58, and .69 caliber. The .58 caliber version is the most common, and the .69 version is the rarest. Your photo shows a mix of .54 and .58 caliber ones in the upper rows, and .54 ones in the bottom row.

For any readers here who don't already know:
Super-precise measuring (in hundredths-of-an-inch) is very important for correctly identifying bullets, coins, and buttons. So, I recommend spending $15 or $19 for a precision-measuring Digital Caliper. Although a "composite" (plastic) one is available for $9.95, stainless-steel ones do not wear out. If you prefer to never have to worry about replacing a battery, a non-electric "Dial" Caliper is available for $18.95. Go here:
Search results for: 'caliper'

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. I found these about 35 years ago when I hunted in my home town of Hagerstown, Md. The sites are all developements today.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back