Bulldozed lot-marbles

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
After all the rain we had here in Alabama I decided to walk a bulldozed lot in Anniston.I was hoping to find a silver coin or two that had washed out of the dirt.The lot use to be a residence up to the 1940's then became commercial having a tire recapping store when I was a kid in the 50's and later a tire service place.Needless to say there is plenty of scrap metal especially tire weights and scattered glass from the turn of the century,so much metal a detector would be hard to use.No coins were found,but i did find one Alabama tax token,8 marbles(two of them clay-see upper right group of marbles)one small doll body(arms,feet,and head missing).
I plan on going back with a rake and smooth out pile before another heavy rain,maybe some coins will eventually turn up.Happy hunting everyone!

Upvote 0
I love finding marbles laying around after a rain on disturbed ground. Looks like a couple or so may be worth something to a collector. I know it's hard to not look at the whole lot being in the mess it is with all the junk scattered but if you can see it as a grid full of 10 x 10 squares you will make many good finds. I suggest starting in one corner and mark off a square 10 x 10 and forget the rest of the lot. Clean up your "claim" and methodically work it out till you're convinced there are no more targets. Fill in your holes and maybe even rake your claim nice and smooth then move to the next claim. Before long you will have worked the lot and made a good reputation for yourself and a positive view for treasure hunters everywhere by the clean-up job you did. Where there are marbles, especially old marbles, there are old coins. Good Hunting. Charlie

Cool stuff 8) I used to collect those as a kid, but as i have grown older, i do believe i have lost all my Marbles. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back