buckles help?

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi all,

I have been sorting out all my finds from where I found Civil War buttons. I am guessing that these buckles may or may not have been worn by soldiers on their suspenders or other. I would like to start posting some close up shots of these. I've been all over and can't even find a picture of these things. Would you be interested in seeing some of them? Here's an example.

Attachments

• Dsc01924.jpg
    Dsc01924.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 233
I found this interesting... you might have a british piece there?

The following from the below listed site: "Braces is the British synonym for suspenders and is the word used in most high-end Men's clothing stores. Suspenders in England hold up a gentleman's socks. The American suspenders usually refer to the clip-on variety which should be avoided. Wear the type that attach to the button on the waistband of your trousers. (Your tailor or dry cleaner can put them on for you.)

Braces were de rigueur business dress until the hot summer of 1893 when many men embraced belts. Ironically, braces are cooler since they allow air to circulate more freely than belts. Trousers hang better with braces.

Never wear both braces and a belt, just ignore the belt loops
."

http://askandyaboutclothes.com/FrontPGArticles/FAQ.htm

Just something interesting...

Upvote 0
Thank you for the info and for the web links. There are some great pictures there. Funny you mention British. Here's a button with a crown that I found at that site. I assume it is artillery. I wonder if there were British and Americans there. I found American Eagle buttons there too.

Attachments

• Dsc02429.jpg
    Dsc02429.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Dsc02430.jpg
    Dsc02430.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Dsc02432.jpg
    Dsc02432.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0
That button is a UK Victorian Military button. I have found about 3 over here.

Upvote 0
Attributed in Howard Ripley's Buttons of the British Army as, "Royal Horse Artillery, 1873 on. (Also worn by the Royal Artillery on certain uniforms up to 1924.)"

Upvote 0
Wow you guys are FAST! Thank you so much for looking. I am in the process of identifying all my relics and taking notes as to what they are. I have already documented every find as to location and date found. Your help identifying these relics really completes my efforts to have an interesting display. Thanks again to all.

Ed-

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back