BuckleBoy and FoxHound Strike Again... This Time With Silver and Large Cents!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all,

BuckleBoy and I had a chance to hit a newly found site here in Southern Indiana. To date we have pulled some pretty nice stuff out of there such as BuckleBoy's beautiful Half Dime. We went out today with the hopes to come away with just a few nice Tombac buttons or maybe a wheat. Well, let me tell you, we came away with MUCH more!! I decided that today would be a great day to test out my new XLT and he wanted to become more familar with his Tesero Silver uMax. My first target was a flattened copper jacketed bullet point, nothing special. I didn't expect much at that time because we were not even on the site yet. My next target was a surprise first, a 1919 buffalo nickel! I had never found one until now. It wasn't long before BuckleBoy, like usual, started pulling out the Tombacs and Wheaties! He recovered 3 or 4 Tombacs and 2 wheaties, 1917 and 1924. A little later I pulled out a nice 1943 Washington Quarter and a button of my own. As the day was starting to come to a close we decided to check in the woods next to the field. I got a strong signal in a small pile of dirt and pulled out a very nice frame buckle! As we were about to head for the car BuckleBoy got a really good signal followed by a loud "Oh my God!!" which could have been heard from a mile away. I ran over to see him pull a brown colored disc from the ground and I knew he had just found a Large Cent! I congradulated him and said "Now I have to find another coin and we will tied again". I took no more than two sweeps with my coil and got a VDI # 80 and started digging. I searched the hole and it was gone so I knew it was in the plug. I broke the plug in half and saw something thick and round sticking out and said "No way!". Out popped ANOTHER Large Cent, an 1833. My 3rd oldest coin! Who would have thought that two Large Cents would be dug no more than a minute apart!! And that is how we finished out the day. BuckleBoy's Large Cent unfortunately has a hole right through the date. It is the braided Hair type, so probably 1840s. It was the end of the greatest hunt that I have been on. All together we managed to pull out 6 coins, 6 or 7 buttons, 3 or 4 musket balls, and a very cool Boy Scout Good Luck medal along with numerous other goodies. We will definately be hitting that site pretty hard in the future. Thanks for looking and HH!

Attachments

• finds3.jpg
    finds3.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 996
  • LCs3.jpg
    LCs3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 990
  • LCs2.jpg
    LCs2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 977
  • 25plug.jpg
    25plug.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 979
  • quarter.jpg
    quarter.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 967
  • finds2.jpg
    finds2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 992
Upvote 0
Very nice coins those large cents just reek of history.
Glad you found them, large cents are always fun to find not to mention the silver quarter.
WTG.
HH

Great finds guys!! Please indulge a relative new guy, but what is a "Tombac"?

Whoa, you guys!!! :o Don't ya wish every hunt was like that one! 8)

Fantastic hunt!!! Congrats!!! Nana :)

SeabeeRon said:
Great finds guys!! Please indulge a relative new guy, but what is a "Tombac"?
Large decorative button from late 1700's-early 1800's. Sometimes referred to as a dandy button.

I like the differing colors on the large cents. You just never know how they're going to come out of the ground. That deep green patina on the 1833 is great. I envy it :P ::) :D. It looks like the patina on the Vermont copper I found this year. Beautiful. ;)

Congrats! I was going to say, "Save something in the ground for my buddies and me to find!" However, if you're in IN, then save a little something for my aunt and cousins to find! She just got a new detector and I can't wait for her to get out and have some fun!

Excellent finds!

Cavers5

Super Digs Fellas!! Glad to see you all out and finding some great stuff...congrats! :D

HH, Hank 8)

Evolution said:
SeabeeRon said:
Great finds guys!!  Please indulge a relative new guy, but what is a "Tombac"?
Large decorative button from late 1700's-early 1800's.  Sometimes referred to as a dandy button.

*Actually* Tombac refers to the button's composition rather than its size or function.  Tombac buttons could be any size, from cuff-button-sized to large "dandy button" sized.  Tombac is an alloy of 88% copper and 12% zinc.  It is brittle, and the alloy is commonly confused with pewter due to its gun-metal-grey color fresh out of the ground.  Brass buttons have a green or brownish patina when dug.  Here's a link to an old post of mine, where someone else asked the same question:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,113489.0.html

For those with TID or VDI numbers, tombacs frequently peg at nickel or a little lower.

THAT WAS ONE HECK OF A HUNT, BUDDY!  That LC of yours is sweet, and those cell phone pics turned out much better than I thought they would.  I will post some photos of my finds on this thread once they are cleaned up a bit.

-Buckleboy

Re: BuckleBoy and FoxHound Strike Again... This Time With Silver and Large Cents

tombac-534web.jpg

TOMBAC-DWEB.jpg

nice bag!!!!!!!!!!

Hello again everyone and thanks for all the replies. I am still in shock after the two Large Cents coming out of the ground one after the other. Anyway, here is a picture of the coins after I have gotten them cleaned up a bit. C'mon BuckleBoy I want to see how those finds of yours turned out! Take care and HH!

Fox

Attachments

• finds1.jpg
    finds1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 718
Cool finds, Fox!

Yeah, it's tough to leave when the good finds start happening at the end of the hunt. :D

Good story.

Thanks for sharing.

Fantastic! How'd you clean that buffalo nickel to come out so clean?

I think I have one of those Tombac buttons, looks just like these here - thought it was a worn liberty nickel when I first picked it up. Good info - Thanks!

But my button isn't brittle like you guys are saying, quite strong with shank intact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back