buckle

jbrown

Jan 18, 2005
burlington new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelad excal whites spectrum whitexlt
found this in Goldsboro NC at a school football field. i was just looking for coins and got a reading of quarter at about 6 inches. i dug this up and had no idea what it was until i did some research. only thing is the 'S' is missing. anyone have any ideas of what could have happen to it? some guy offered me $100 for the buckle but i think i will hold on to it

Attachments

• detector 002.jpg
    detector 002.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 519
  • detector 003.jpg
    detector 003.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 482
Upvote 0
at first i thought that maybe schapnel might have put the hole in it, but looking closer it looks almost like it was cut. ??? hopefully someone on here can verify if its real or a repro and take it from there. really cool find either way! :)

It Needs To Be Checked By An Expert, But If It Is A Real Bullet Pierced CSA Plate, It Could Be Worth As Much As $ 10,000.00. I Hope That It Turns Out To Be. trk5capt...

Attachments

• {D984B245-F473-4A61-8DC9-2E589BFC303A}_DSC00018.jpg
    {D984B245-F473-4A61-8DC9-2E589BFC303A}_DSC00018.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 475
  • {D984B245-F473-4A61-8DC9-2E589BFC303A}_DSC00018.jpg
    {D984B245-F473-4A61-8DC9-2E589BFC303A}_DSC00018.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 476
  • {D68E141C-3681-4452-82E9-6099F9527535}_DSC00019.jpg
    {D68E141C-3681-4452-82E9-6099F9527535}_DSC00019.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 472
From looking at the pictures, if a bullet did go through it, it would have gone through the back first and exit out the front based on the metal curvature around the hole.

Ian

In my opinion, too Square. Looks Cut.

Either the owners initials were C.A.

Or it was a Makeshift Repair for something
that was Damaged in the Field.

Nice Buckle j....Deinetley look's like it came from behind....Like the Captain said,get it looked at....couldn't hurt.

first off...nice find!!!! would love a civil war artifact and from what I have read on this forum, CSA buckles are more rare than US buckles.....anyway, do you remember how it was positioned in the ground? was the backside facing up or the CSA side? I say this because maybe some machinery or farming equipment might have punched through it. It looks like it was slightly bent also.

Again...GREAT FIND!!!

Funkman

i don't remember which side it was on, i was sure i would find a quarter because the meter was reading quarter so when i found the buckle i just pulled it out of the ground thinking it was just a piece of junk.

sorry i have no updates on the buckle, as soon as i can find where to take it to ge it examine i will post the results

Great buckle. If authentic, it is certainly worth more than $100! Check the area again with low discrimination. See if you can find any dropped or fired minieballs. That would tell you quickly whether to believe in the buckle's authenticity, and it would add some more nice finds to your treasure chest! Might have to dig some pulltabs though, but so what?!

-Buckleboy

Here are my thoughts on this buckle. Some people have said the hole is too square to be a shrapnel or bullet hit, but I disagree. So many things could have made it open like that, such as faulty craftsmanship, that I would say it is possible..... However, with that being said.... Based on the bend in the buckle with the hole being punched from the back, I think it has been an added from the owner. Possibly his initials were C.A., who knows, but with the bend going one way and the hole the other I think it is a man made hole. Of course I'm no ballastics expert, just shot plenty of things and saw the left overs. ;)
Of course, the buckle could have, well, buckled from something at high velocity, but I would think that it would have caused a great deal more damage.
Still, simply fantastic find. Those are rare and far between.

JBrown, which school were you at?
Mike

Hello Mike, i found the buckle at Rosewood Elementary School. if you go to the back of the school and to your left there is a football field. it was found near a concession stand near the tree line. I believe that there is a junk yard or auto parts store very close to where I found it. Hope this help you Good Luck

jbrown, I know exactly where you are talking about as I have hunted the soccer field there. I live near Princeton. That was a great find BTW! It looks authentic to me. Congrats! Thanks for the reply.
Mike

I found a photo of a struck plate showing the metal displacement. It looks as though your plate has been modified or maybe hammered flat to retain servicability. Very nice find either way.

Attachments

• F1130C_small.jpg
    F1130C_small.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 291
  • F1130D_small.jpg
    F1130D_small.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 294

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back