chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found me a little buckle yesterday along with a 1950 silver dime... anyone have any ideas how old the buckle could be? Belt? Shoe? Decorative?

I cleaned it up using my homemade electrolysis machine...

Buckle.jpg

Chukers

Upvote 3
I would guess belt buckle, post- 1900. But it's just a guess. Someone will chime in i'm sure.

Cleaned up real nice - nice buckle - I don't have a clue what kind of buckle it is but I guarantee you there are guys on treasure net that can tell you - HH

any guesses?

Nice cleaning on the buckle.

Looks to be brass harness (horse) buckle like the one I posted below in photo.. I have dug quite a few similar ones before around old mid 20th century house sites. I would date this buckle too be Mid and possibly early 20th century. :occasion14:

Attachments

• 4112510_orig.jpg
    4112510_orig.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 181
Sorry I cant Id . But this shows me that some relics should be cleaned .. NICE JOB.

Now that's alright right there.cleaned up great.wish I could help on the id.I'm sure it will get figured out on here.sweet find for sure.

Chukers wrote:
> Any guesses?

Becuase the slot in it is only as wide as your finger (in the photo), it is much too small to be a "belt" buckle. So, it would be a "strap" buckle.

Pack buckles and horse-harness buckles tend to be plain-looking, so I think your fancy-design one is from something worn by a person. Could be from a shoe-strap, a purse strap, or a wristwatch strap.

Now that's alright right there.cleaned up great.wish I could help on the id.I'm sure it will get figured out on here.sweet find for sure.

yeah cleaning some things up makes a real difference...

Chukers wrote:
> Any guesses?

Becuase the slot in it is only as wide as your finger (in the photo), it is much too small to be a "belt" buckle. So, it would be a "strap" buckle.

Pack buckles and horse-harness buckles tend to be plain-looking, so I think your fancy-design one is from something worn by a person. Could be from a shoe-strap, a purse strap, or a wristwatch strap.

yeah I believe its was used by a person because of the decorations on it.

yeah I believe its was used by a person because of the decorations on it.

Depending on the person who owned the horse, if it was a wealthy horse owner they had all sorts of fancy decorations, if it was your average joe horse owner or military type style most were just plain. You can search for 100,000+ fancy horse decorations. Hard too say but it's 50-50. Maybe you will luck out where you found this buckle and find some coins. Good luck 8-)

I would guess , early 1900's , Perhaps 1910-1920 - this is guesswork based on style , and I'm no expert on buckles , very nice
clean up , I dont think you did it any harm , as clearly this is not the same type of artifact as say, a civil war buckle , or colonial shoe
buckle etc.

Depending on the person who owned the horse, if it was a wealthy horse owner they had all sorts of fancy decorations, if it was your average joe horse owner or military type style most were just plain. You can search for 100,000+ fancy horse decorations. Hard too say but it's 50-50. Maybe you will luck out where you found this buckle and find some coins. Good luck 8-)

It was found in a yard... coins found in the yard were no older than the 40's, I still need to re-hunt the yard see what else comes up. Thanks for your perspective!

Chukers

I would guess , early 1900's , Perhaps 1910-1920 - this is guesswork based on style , and I'm no expert on buckles , very nice
clean up , I dont think you did it any harm , as clearly this is not the same type of artifact as say, a civil war buckle , or colonial shoe
buckle etc.

I too, am not an "expert" but I was guessing Early 1900 to 1930's... I do not always clean things up like this one but I knew electrolysis would not hurt it... and because it had no historical value... it would not hurt if I damaged it. Thanks for your comment.

Chukers

It was found in a yard... coins found in the yard were no older than the 40's, I still need to re-hunt the yard see what else comes up. Thanks for your perspective!

Chukers

Sure thing maybe you will luck out and find that sixth 1913 Liberty Nickel that is worth a whopping $5 million dollars!! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back