Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• a489-bub-une Buckle_resize.jpg
    a489-bub-une Buckle_resize.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 61
I'm in the US so finding a buckle that old is slim.
Never seen one Posted like that.
Very cool buckle

Upvote 0
It is crazy that you cannot edit a post here to correct or show new information/determinations, so I will repeat it here with a determination from a French forum over buckles.

Earl Specht collection (wf4.nl) Catalog Number a489-bub-10e
Type Buckle
Datering 10/11 Century
Material Bronze
Mass gram 8,74
Size (mm) lwh 23,8 x 22,7
Diameter Ø (mm)
Find Place England
OBV Text
OBV Description
REV Text
REV Description
Determination rico59 (Jean Pierre Parent through Timba)
Rarity
Reference
Remarks

After the expert in Belgium could not find an determination, he sent it to a French forum specializing in buckles thru Timba.

Timba:
What a beautiful buckle! This is an object that we would all like to find...
Well, you have trouble dating this buckle, it does not surprise me. It comes from an unique period for which there is not much known or to have come under out eyes!

First of all, the 'roulette' decoration of the cross bar that was no longer used after the beginning of the 13th century.
This very short base, very neat in the decoration and still quite irregularly cut.
The three rivets with very large heads, aligned in this nice way.
The incredible work on the front crossbar!

And finally the simple prong or tongue made from curved sheet metal to give "consistency" and the work on the attachment of it.

I date this beautiful and magnificent buckle to the famous and little poorly unknown period, X-XI centuries.

The only reservation is that if the object is really English and not only "found" in U.K.

Attachments

• a489-bub-10e Buckle resize.jpg
    a489-bub-10e Buckle resize.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
I've never seen this type with the bulbous bar!
I'm not sure its late Saxon in date though, maybe Norman 12th C??? If I were guessing, I would have said 13th-14th C.
Anyways it must be a very rare type & in amazing condition.

Upvote 0
I've never seen this type with the bulbous bar!
I'm not sure its late Saxon in date though, maybe Norman 12th C??? If I were guessing, I would have said 13th-14th C.
Anyways it must be a very rare type & in amazing condition.

Thanks Cru, actually the amazing condition is even better in real life. Just could not make a photo showing the newness of the buckle. It is really nicer than the photo. I did not believe the condition when I pulled it out of the soil; Just don't know how it kept itself in such a condition. But where we search every once in a while we do pull something out that is in such a condition, especially coin.

I still believe the guy from the France forum, I have looked and looked and not yet found an other example of this buckle or its sisters/brothers. There has to be some more someplace. Or on the other hand was this created apart for a rich person, a one of a kind or unique item made to specifications from the buyer?

We will see. I will put this on PAS and see what happens there (most of the time nothing), and some other forums in other lands. It does not have to be and seems not to be a English (UK) created buckle, maybe worn by a visitor to Engeland back then. Just thoughts...

Greetings Cru
Earl

Upvote 0
Thanks Cru, actually the amazing condition is even better in real life. Just could not make a photo showing the newness of the buckle. It is really nicer than the photo. I did not believe the condition when I pulled it out of the soil; Just don't know how it kept itself in such a condition. But where we search every once in a while we do pull something out that is in such a condition, especially coin.

I still believe the guy from the France forum, I have looked and looked and not yet found an other example of this buckle or its sisters/brothers. There has to be some more someplace. Or on the other hand was this created apart for a rich person, a one of a kind or unique item made to specifications from the buyer?

We will see. I will put this on PAS and see what happens there (most of the time nothing), and some other forums in other lands. It does not have to be and seems not to be a English (UK) created buckle, maybe worn by a visitor to Engeland back then. Just thoughts...

Greetings Cru
Earl
Yes, I agree, its unlikely to have been made in the UK.

Upvote 0
You won't get an exact match but 1250 to 1350, very nice find.

SS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back