Buckle ID help

I've never seen one like it, but if it was found in a farm field, I would expect it's part of a harness set up so you could easily untwist a leather strap. That's just a swag though. In this country people have had all sorts of ideas, not all of them flew well though, but you might find a patent on it, an invention that never really took off.

Upvote 0
looks like the loop off of a light duty snap hook. Too dainty for harness use IMOP .. maybe off of a dog leash or something of that nature.

Upvote 0
creskol, it is not as dainty as it looks in the picture. It weighs 23 grams, and the diameter of the small loop is almost 5/8 in. Looks like a very sturdy buckle.

Upvote 0
creskol, it is not as dainty as it looks in the picture. It weighs 23 grams, and the diameter of the small loop is almost 5/8 in. Looks like a very sturdy buckle.

What guage wire are its components made from.

Upvote 0
I can't figure where on harness that a strap would twist and need a swivel to straighten it out, and kind of like the dog leash idea better than horse harness. Got to think of a use where a flat leather strap might get twisted. I think it's rather unique, and if I knew how to search the patents, I'll bet it's there.

Upvote 0
Let an unwashed neophyte chime in here, but it looks like swivel buckles that I have seen before on antique razor straps...very cool none the less. Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
I think you are on to something, it hung off the chair or the wall, and they stropped on both sides of the strap. In another lifetime when I had hair, I remember the barber using one of those.

Upvote 0
I found a picture that looks good. The strop says Cavalry on it, which I doubt means US Cavalry, but it has the same D ring/swivel set up, except on the found one, the ring above the swivel has been twisted, otherwise, as they said in Japan in the 1950's, same-o same-o.
1AB strop.jpg

Upvote 0
That is close, but no cigar. The concept is the same, but architecturally, it is quite different. I think even the razor strap swivel is more heavy duty that the one posted by the OP.
I also think that these things were so generic .. with many application .. trying to pin it down to a specific is going to be very tuff to do.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back