Buckle, Buckle, Whos got the Buckle?

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Buckle, Buckle, Who's got the Buckle?

Back to my weird Civil War site. Searched for a few hours today and found this buckle. The center post has rusted away. I can find buckles on the web but I can't find any with 4 holes on each side. Are these just decorative or where they used? Any ideas as to the type buckle (shoe, knee, etc) and when it would have been used?

Thanks,

Daryl

Attachments

• buckle1.jpg
    buckle1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 265
  • buckle2.jpg
    buckle2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 268
Re: Buckle, Buckle, Who's got the Buckle?

The engravings on it are beautiful! I'm not a buckle expert, but I would venture a guess that some type of thread or leather went through the holes, either vertically or horizontically to hold them on to whatever they went on. Good find! -Noodle

Upvote 0

If I don't find something from the site related to the civil war soon, I guess you're right. But I just can't believe it. Sherman - 20,000 troops - a very historic incident where General Jackson crossed the creek with all his soldiers, horse, and artillery then pulled the pontoons and over 300 people drowned. And I can't find a thing from that. I'm looking for a date discrimination switch on the DFX that I somehow missed.

Thanks for the website on the buckles. It is very similar and I think you nailed the period. So the holes are just decorative? That was what I found different and interesting on this one.

Thanks for all the help.

Daryl

Upvote 0

To me it looks like part of a tack for horses or riggings.....Mags

Upvote 0

Well, I finally figured out why I keep finding Revolutionary War stuff at my "Civil War" site. Seems the person who wrote the book on the Salzberger settlement on Ebenezer Creek got it wrong. They said:

The Civil War brought hardship when Union general William T. Sherman's troops came through the county on their march to the sea in 1864. On Dec. 8, Federal troops under Union Gen. Jefferson C. Davis filed across Ebenezer Creek and destroyed their pontoon bridge behind them, leaving behind over 600 slaves which had been following the army column. With Confederate cavalry under Wheeler approaching, many slaves panicked and drowned as they tried to flee by attempting to swim across the creek. Some Union soldiers encamped on the Eden Road after passing through Springfield. Others occupied Jerusalem Church, using its picket fence and hymnals for fires and engaging in skirmishes on the grounds.

Seems like the truth is:

The Revolutionary War brought destruction and desertion to the area. British troops set up headquarters at Ebenezer, and soldiers plundered many houses and targeted them for cannon practice. They used the church as a hospital, and its pews as firewood.

Just can't trust the Internet to be accurate all the time. At least, now I know.

Daryl

Upvote 0

I think you should stop referring to it as your "weird civil war site", and start thinking of it as your "productive revolutionary war site".

And in WWII the Germans set up anti-aircraft batteries and observation posts on the hills of medieval castles. In war you take the high ground, and that hasn't changed since we faught with rocks and pointy sticks.

For the most part history just keeps piling up. There's no reason a Revolutionary War site can't be a Civil War site as well. That's why depth is important and the position of finds relative to their neighbors (and why archeologists don't appreciate detectorists for the most part). We dig straight to the hits instead of peeling layers.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back