South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit a spot where I noticed a bunch of broken pottery on the timber road. Looks like occupation for a short period at turn of the century.

Got one of those higher mid tone signals that can be just about anything, but rarely good. (17 on the Nox)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592766218.608239.jpg

Really surprised that a larger copper coin was in the hole figured it must be a token. Cleaned it up.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592766267.725596.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592766276.677812.jpg

My first Canadian large cent! Everyone I hunt with has found a few of these, but they have eluded my coil for 5 years.

Here is the handful.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592766356.631481.jpg

Old lid with dude and knarly hinge.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592766460.185044.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592766469.052215.jpg

Good luck out there!

Upvote 35
Congrats on the old copper and cool relics! :occasion14:

Wow cool finds Pa Dirt I would take that day all day long

Super finds! Nice large cent. Thanks for posting the pictures.

That my friend is a fine selection of dirt fruit!!!! Well played sir

Super finds!:occasion14:

That’s an interesting lid. Dr Sayman was a “snake oil” merchant of the most cynical kind. On 11th March 1915, the US Attorney for Eastern Missouri filed charges against Sayman, acting on a report by the Secretary of Agriculture containing an analysis of the composition of the product “Sayman’s Vegetable Limiment Compound” and its accompanying leaflet. The product contained little in the way of ingredients with proven medicinal properties beyond chloroform and camphor. The leaflet claimed that the product was effective against:

Rheumatism, Neuralgia, Sprains; Lameness, Cuts, Bruises, Ulcers, Fever Sores, Sore Eyes and Cankered Sore Mouth, Sore Nipples, Sore Throat, Croup, Whooping Cough, Diphtheria, Catarrh, Headache, Toothache, Earache, Catarrhal Deafness, Cramp, Colic, Cholera Morbus, Painters’ Colic, Scalds an Burns, Lame Back, Inflammation of the Kidneys, Retention of Urine, Diarrhoea, Dysentery, Bloody Flux, Frosted Feet or Chilblains, Swellings, Tumors, Goiters, Bites and Stings of Insects, Mad Dogs and Venomous Reptiles. Recommended for Colic in Horses, Kidney and Bladder Troubles.

Sayman faced charges that the claims were “false and fraudulent in that the same were applied to said article knowingly and in reckless and wanton disregard of the truth or falsity so as to represent falsely and fraudulently to the purchasers thereof…”

Sayman offered a “guilty” plea when the case came to court on 29th May 1915 and was fined $50 plus costs.

That’s an interesting lid. Dr Sayman was a “snake oil” merchant of the most cynical kind. On 11th March 1915, the US Attorney for Eastern Missouri filed charges against Sayman, acting on a report by the Secretary of Agriculture containing an analysis of the composition of the product “Sayman’s Vegetable Limiment Compound” and its accompanying leaflet. The product contained little in the way of ingredients with proven medicinal properties beyond chloroform and camphor. The leaflet claimed that the product was effective against:

Rheumatism, Neuralgia, Sprains; Lameness, Cuts, Bruises, Ulcers, Fever Sores, Sore Eyes and Cankered Sore Mouth, Sore Nipples, Sore Throat, Croup, Whooping Cough, Diphtheria, Catarrh, Headache, Toothache, Earache, Catarrhal Deafness, Cramp, Colic, Cholera Morbus, Painters’ Colic, Scalds an Burns, Lame Back, Inflammation of the Kidneys, Retention of Urine, Diarrhoea, Dysentery, Bloody Flux, Frosted Feet or Chilblains, Swellings, Tumors, Goiters, Bites and Stings of Insects, Mad Dogs and Venomous Reptiles. Recommended for Colic in Horses, Kidney and Bladder Troubles.

Sayman faced charges that the claims were “false and fraudulent in that the same were applied to said article knowingly and in reckless and wanton disregard of the truth or falsity so as to represent falsely and fraudulently to the purchasers thereof…”

Sayman offered a “guilty” plea when the case came to court on 29th May 1915 and was fined $50 plus costs.

Thx for the research and summary. Interesting bit of history.

I have found one of these too, in a river, but mine is not in such nice shape. I believe 1859 is the first year for the Canadian large cent.

The Canadian Large cent is a real beauty. Is he Pittsburgh Railways Co. company piece a button or a Good For token? If it is a Good For One Fare token it's the first of that type I've seen.

BTW, I never knew you were keen to dig a Canadian Large Cent, but BUCKET LISTER!! is proven click bait :laughing7:

Last edited:
Excellent looking Canadian Large Cent, and the rest of your finds are very nice also.

The Canadian Large cent is a real beauty. Is he Pittsburgh Railways Co. company piece a button or a Good For token? If it is a Good For One Fare token it's the first of that type I've seen.

BTW, I never knew you were keen to dig a Canadian Large Cent, but BUCKET LISTER!! is proven click bait :laughing7:

Thx Steve! The RR item is a 2 piece coat button. I’ve found over 30 US LC’s in the last 4 years, never one from north of the border. Our friend Louis has found a bunch in his city spots. Always thought they were cool finds.

Thx Steve! The RR item is a 2 piece coat button. I’ve found over 30 US LC’s in the last 4 years, never one from north of the border. Our friend Louis has found a bunch in his city spots. Always thought they were cool finds.
There are a lot of varieties of the 1859 Canadian Large cent. Some are worth a few bucks. Did you look into what variety you have?
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.numicanada.com/medias/pieces-de-monnaie/valeur/1-cent-1859-g.jpg[/FONT]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back