✅ SOLVED Buck Knife, How old do you think it may be?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at a flea market this week and found this Buck carving knife for seven dollars. I looked at the history of Buck to see if it could tell me any info. Most info is on the popular Buck folding lock blade, I think its called the mod.110. This knife has a 9'' blade and is very well made, 'not the average carving knife it is' The word "BUCK" on this knife has a script type I've not seen on other Buck knives. The two Buck's I've owned before both disappeared some where. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has said, I lost my Knife somewhere??? :dontknow: My boss lost his knife the last time we were together and wouldn't shutup about it. He even made it seem like it was my fault. What a chump!

I did read that Buck started using a date code after 1986 and any knife without a date code is simply older then 1986. So I got that down now, but how the trade mark is on this one should maybe be a clue to the age. The handle looks like Ebony wood. I did okay on this knife. It looks to have never been resharpened and has what I believe the original factory brush grindings to the blade. It has only minor scrapes, dings and dangs to it. If I was to take a stab at the age of it I'm thinking 1970s?

Attachments

• buck knife 1.jpg
    buck knife 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 778
  • buck knife 2.jpg
    buck knife 2.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 329
  • buck knife 3.jpg
    buck knife 3.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 284
Saw someplace where the old English font was used from the late 70's thru '84 (I think). Hope it helps a little.

Upvote 0
I'd say you got a good buy, and your guess at the date is probably correct also.

Upvote 0
Digging wv is right. That script was used late 70's into the 80's and a 9 inch blade is a carving knife or boning knife. You didn't get hurt paying $7 that's a bit of a steal for a decent knife like that. Been collecting knives for 35 years and I have a fair share of buck knives, and the scroll lettering was usually part of a set. Nice find

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Upvote 0
Here is the codes from 1985 on.

Attachments

• image-669171398.jpg
    image-669171398.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,033
Upvote 0
Digging wv is right. That script was used late 70's into the 80's and a 9 inch blade is a carving knife or boning knife. You didn't get hurt paying $7 that's a bit of a steal for a decent knife like that. Been collecting knives for 35 years and I have a fair share of buck knives, and the scroll lettering was usually part of a set. Nice find I

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain
That all looks good to me. I couldn't remember what the 2 Buck folding knives lettering looked like on those I lost. I did own them in the later seventies, as they were a very popular knife to have back then. I was a underground miner in that time and just about every miner had him a Buck folding knife back then. I'm sure many knives were lost in that mine. I remember starting work one morning as I was a motorman on an ore train. The train I was given had a nice Schrade folding knife in the cab. Well it was mine then, but lost that one like all the others at that job. Well thank you very much. Maybe some time I'll come across a nice old vintage Randall some time at a yard sale or in a thrift store. Things like that do happen.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back