🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Brown Bess Frizzen??

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm trying to ID this frizzen that I found the other day. It looks like it's from a Brown Bess but I'm not really sure. Any clues??
frizzen 1.jpg
frizzen 2.jpg

There were so many different types of flintlock guns that were similar it would be very tough to tell just what type it came from. About the only way I can think of would be to directly compare it to a Brown Bess frizzen for exact size and shape. A precise measurement would be the first thing to do, height, width, length of the base where it would cover the pan.

Upvote 3
I.Cutler is right when he says the only way to identify it would be to hold it up next to a few hundred different frizzens, and even that would only give you a general idea. In the days before interchangable parts subject to inspection with gauges, even frizzens made by the same person on the same day might bear only a vague resemblance to each other. I own 4 different Model 1801 "Tower" pistols, all made within a year or two of each other, and the frizzens vary considerably in dimensions. I also own 4 different U.S. Model 1795 muskets. The frizzens of each are dissimilar enough that if you compared them you would swear they were not made for the same model.

Upvote 4
There were "pattern" guns. They offered consistency of builds.
Among others of course. And those of other nations.
Comparisons to know types will get you farther than most guessing.

If you suspect a short land (Bess) or long land pattern musket , check width of common flint size against your piece.
Don't quote me but around 3/4 is my guess. (My dangerous guess and I've a tower pistol and trade gun...) Flint sizes I just don't recall offhand.

And a gunbuilder making thier own lock (and it's not a crime to use locks others built) could build any size frizzen.

Without measurement or an attribute gauge or coin or something , your picture could be of something as wide as your pinky finger , or a shovel.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back