✅ SOLVED Brooch with blue stones on front.

eventsmatters

Greenie
Oct 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    834.7 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_0050.JPG
    DSC_0050.JPG
    779.3 KB · Views: 112
I have no clue, but others are going to want to know if there are any maker's marks, do you know what the metal is...

Upvote 0
I think this is a 1950's decorative broach. Stones are colored glass or maybe crystal. Original cost about $1. Worth today $20-$50 or so. Highly collectible costume jewelry. Unless there are maker's marks, or marks of another kind, that's what it is...

Upvote 0
The stones look like blue topaz, but you may want to take it to a jeweler to make sure.

Upvote 0
When enlarged I can see that it's marked Sterling (top left, partially under the pin) and some sort of makers mark in the middle (low and left from middle actually); There's a circle C (trademark thingy) with then maybe a large E, then a cursive C?... I don't know jewelry marks very well, but I thought I'd give a heads-up to those here that do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All I could see when enlarged was the c within a circle (copyright symbol, introduced in 1909), and something after. Totally missed the sterling. I say, 'take it to a jeweler to check for you!' Wouldn't it be cool if it's gemstones?
(For those not zooming in, the yellow bits are reflections of the photog's shirt, not worn thru color - boy, it's shiny!)
Please let us know what a jeweler says - we'll wait right here. :coffee2:

Upvote 0
Jewelers said he does not recognize it. Maybe I will take to next one. He did say it is not topaz. He could not tell me anything about the symbol. I will let you know if another jewelers will tell me something new.

Upvote 0
the maker's mark is for Coro, a very prolific maker of costume jewelry for many decades. this piece is ca. 1950s and made of rhodium plated pot metal with rhinestones (glass). i do not think that is a sterling mark as most of these particular type of coro brooches were not sterling.

Coro is widely collected, but this is not one of their rarest or most desirable pieces. their quality ranged from pretty bad to extremely fine costume jewelry. the mark on your piece is known as the "pegasus mark" and if you do some googling/ebay searching will probably find similar examples.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back