Oct 18, 2013
George Town
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ii
Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-2398723794.jpg

Hi to all you treasure hunters out there.
I am hoping someone will be able to tell me more about the bronze arrowhead ship spikes I found whilst diving on a reef in the Bahamas.
Any ideas about their age and origin ; what kind of boat were they likely to come from.
The spikes were buried under 1 foot of sand on the inside of the reef in 20 feet of water.
I have electrolytically cleaned them ;before they were covered in a black sulphide layer which came off real easy.
I think that the ship must have broken up as it went over the reef many years ago.
I am hoping to find more when I return next month to the site.
Here's hoping that you guys will advise me on were I should concentrate my searching; in the reef itself or sandy bottom extending inside the reef.?
I am returning well equipped with a Sea Hunter mk2, Excalibur ii and Fisher CZ21.

Thanks and good luck to all hunters.

BTW I also found an iron cannon not far away approx 500 ft but I think its from a later wreck.

Attachments

• image-159215239.jpg
    image-159215239.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 101
Beeps in my sleep said:
Are you sure they are not harpoons?

Don't think so ; I first thought they were from a crossbow but they have a square end which would not fit to a wooden shaft easily.

Upvote 0
Beeps in my sleep said:
How long are they?

Between 1 to 5 inches
I also have a few broken ends which do indicate they joined the wooden planking of a ship together.
When the ship split up the timbers were torn apart and some of the spikes broke in two.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the links looks like they are circa 16th century .

What I would really like to find out is if this type of arrowhead bronze spike came only from Spanish ships.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back